prologue

Prologue

Growing up, all the elementary school kids always asked, "Well, were is your dad?" that is a good question

Growing up, all the elementary school kids always asked, "Well, were is your dad?" that is a good question. I always got little bits from my mom like, "oh he lives in another country" and "he's magical just like you " I always assumed this was how it was always going to be. I would get little glimpses into who he was and that I would, maybe, never meet him.

I became content with this, to be fair I never really had a choice. I had my step-father, Steve, and his son, Foster. Oregon was never my favorite place to live but, the wizarding community there was scarce so essentially, I grew with muggles and the culture which I adored. I always thought my life was planned out. I would attend elementary school with the muggle children and then go to Ilvermorny just like my mother, step-father and brother.

That all changed when we decided to vacation to England on summer. You don't think one moment will change your life entirely or, one random person uttering your mother's name in shock, "Ivy?" There stood a man. Tall, not ugly looking, and definitely rich by the way he dressed. What shocked me even more was the hug he gave my mother. Looking behind him there was a short, beautiful women and a small boy with round glass, messy hair and a stupid little grin on his face.

"Hi, You must be Vera."

"Yea and who are you?"

"James Fleamont Potter, at your service." He stood there with his hand out smiling a very proud smile. Confused, I looked to my brother for help but, nothing but a shrug from his end.

"James, give the girl some room to breathe, you are awfully close." He backs away with an apologetic look. The man from before stares at me in awe for an uncomfortable amount of time. I look to my mother who reached for my step-father who have looks of regret on their faces. He bends down to my leave and smiles at me.

"Oh my Vera, you are just as beautiful in the pictures as you are in person."

"Oh um, thank you?" He continues to look at me in awe. It's look I assume a father gives when he sees his newborn baby. "I'm sorry but who are you?"

"Oh honey, I'm sorry I forgot to introduce myself. Hi, I'm Fleamont Potter, Your father." Oh my god I stand there frozen, in panic. My father, the man I never thought I would meet. He goes into hug me and I stay where I am, not hugging back. "This is your brother, James." The boy from before smiles at me and waves like an idiot.

"He's not my brother, I don't even know him." Tears well up in my eyes from stress. The boys smile falters and I hear a chuckle from my brother behind me.

"Of course I am your brother, we have the same dad." He says hurt. I feel bad for my lash out. Sensing the tension, Steve, speaks up,

"Well, how about we all go eat huh?" He says with a smile.

"We can go back to our house, we have a lovely house elf who cooks the most amazing dishes." The woman gushed.

"Alright." My mother grabbed me and suddenly, we apparated to not a house, but a mansion. The boy rushed inside the house. I stood back admiring the grounds. It was large with nicely trimmed bushes everywhere and flowers that covered every part that wasn't covered in the gravel driveway The house itself was almost like a castle with its stone exterior and tall tower like structure. Foster pushes me inside along with the others. We all sit at a large dining table with a large array of food on top. Everyone starts to dig in but I look to find my mother. She is sat at the end of the table, by Fleamont. They seem to be arguing but, I can't make out what they are saying.

"So Vera, you're 10 right?" I turn to my side to see James sitting next to me.

"Yea so?"

"It's just that I'm 10 too! That means we can go to Hogwarts together!"

"Hogwash?" He looks at me taken aback by my statement.

"Hogwarts," He says slowly so I can understand what he is saying, "Only the best wizarding school in the world!" He says it as if it was common knowledge. I never really cared to learn the names of other wizarding schools since, it didn't really affect me.

"Oh no, I'm going to Ilvermorny." I look at Foster and he gives me a warm smile.

"Oh well, you should visit in the summer time. We can ride broom sticks together, go to Diagon Alley oh and go swimming outside."

"I don't think I can, I don't even know you."

"Like I said, I am your brother. Well, half brother, that's what my dad told me. I've always wanted to meet you. See, mum couldn't have anymore kids so I never had a sibling until my dad told me about you!"

At the end of the table, the arguing got louder and louder until, "Fleamont honey please, lets talk about this later." The woman rubs his hand before he utters one last blow. My mother slams her fork down on the table.

"SHE IS MY CHILD AND ALWAYS WILL BE. IT IS NOT MY FAULT THAT YOU CHOOSE YOUR SON OVER HER." A look of regret flashes over her face. She excuses herself as she heads outside as my step-father follows. Foster reaches over and grabs my hand and rubs it softly. We sit there eating for a few minutes until Fleamont goes over to my mother whose still outside.

A few minutes goes by and they call my name to join them outside. I stand up slowly and stare at the ground, as if I'm in trouble. They both crouch down to my level and stare at me.

"Vera honey, Fl- your father wants you to live here, with James. Not all the time, just sometime." WHAT? No, I can't . I don't want too.

"I can also pay for you to go to school! You can go to Hogwarts, just like your old man." He says giving me a pat on the back. No. No, no, no. This isn't how it supposed to be.

"NO, YOUR NOT MY DAD" I say throwing my hands off of me. I burst off running into the nearby forest not caring about the calls of my name behind me. I get too tired from running and plant myself down next to a tree, knees to my chest crying. I don't want to go to Hogwarts. I don't want another brother. I don't want to leave my family. I don't want any of this.

Suddenly, a twig snaps. I panic and stand up, in a defensive stance. Out pops a mess of brown hair and round glasses.

"I heard them call out for you and saw you ran out into the forest. I like exploring out here sometimes, but only till the boundaries mum gave me." I don't say anything, just standing there. "I know they want you to come live here and you don't want to and I get it, it's weird and scary all this happening at once. But I never had a sibling. I've always been lonely but, now I have a chance at having a sibling. I know you don't know me at all but, give me a chance. A chance for us to be brother and sister." His eyes have a glimmer. A glimmer of hope. A hope or chance I may say yes. I've always wondered about my father and what his life was like. I've always wondered what my life would be like if he was present in it. As much as I want to say no, a part of me wants to say yes and I can't ignore it.

I rush up to him and hug him tightly, as he returns the hug. I release from him and step back. I rush out of the woods to find everyone standing there.

"Ok I will, on one condition, I keep my last name, nobody knows I am a potter and we switch off for breaks."

AN// ahhhh thank you so much for reading the first chapter! I hope y'all liked it and please excuse the grammar or typing errors
-Ren