chapter 37

Photo Op

"Are you sure you have your toothbrush?"

"Yes mom."

"Stationary?"

"Yes, I checked."

"Clean underwear?"

"Yes mom geez." James says embarrassed as he shuts his trunk, stopping Mias searching.

"I just want to make sure you have everything, you are really forgetful darling." She says rubbing his head. James rolls his eyes as Fleamont comes in the kitchen.

"How is my favorite Gryffindor son?" Fleamont says coming over to James and ruffling his hair.

"Excited, I can't wait to pull more pranks." James says with a smile.

"James honey, strive to not get a school record of detentions this year." Euphemia say kissing his head.

"Unless it's the Slytherins, got it?" Fleamont says pointing his finger in James' face. James quickly nods his head in understanding as Euphemia looks at both of them with a disapproving look.

"Vera?" I look up from my bowl to see Fleamont looking at me from the other side of the table.

"Yea?" He smiles at me as he approaches me. My heart fluttered at the idea that he may hug me or give me some advice. Be fatherly towards me. No matter how much I hated him, my heart always longed for his love and approval.

"Can you take a picture of us?" He asks handing me his camera. Shocked, I grab his camera and nod at him with a smile. He didn't have any advice or wanted to call his favorite daughter. I was simply the photographer. I feel my face getting hot and my mind was racing.

"Here, come on." Fleamont says pulling Euphemia and James closer to him. You can tell Euphemia and James are uncomfortable by Fleamont's request for me to take their family photo, but they wouldn't say anything.

"Say cheese." I say as they all smile brightly. I click down the small button as the photo pops out the top. I hold it, staring down at it intensely. The three of them, a family. There was no room for me here, why would I think otherwise?

"How does it look?" Fleamont asks coming to my side. I silently hand the photo as I make my way back up to my room.

I close my door and sink down to the floor, my back to the door. Fleamont never saw me as a daughter unless he had too. I wasn't apart of his family, I was an outsider.

I hear a small knock at the door and I move to get out of the way of it. The door opens to see James standing there staring back at me.

"Can I help you?" I ask him. He stares at me blankly, thinking of words. "We should probably go." I said grabbing my trunk and lugging it down the stairs as best as I can.