chapter 14

Awkward times at Hogwarts

Almost a month later, Christmas break was almost upon us

Almost a month later, Christmas break was almost upon us. The castle was bustling with people getting excited for leaving school and going home to their families. Me on the other hand, I was ecstatic. I was going home back to Oregon to see my family and I missed them so much.

Foster and I always had the best christmases. Oregon could get really snowy and Seattle wasn't too far away either. We usually spent our time eating cookies, snow fights or just being in each other's presence.

I still haven't officially told James I wasn't going to his house for break. I had owled Euphemia and Fleamont letting them know I wouldn't be arriving alongside James and I don't think they had told him since at breakfast he asks me,

"Vera, should I come and get you tomorrow so we can go back together?" I choke on my toast, coughing as I'm struggling to breath.

"I'm sorry what?" I ask confuse still hitting my chest to dislodge to toast.

"Pick you up yea know, so we can go home together." His eyes light up excitedly. My heart aches a little that I have to end his excitement.

"Oh James sorry, I thought your parents told you. I'm going back to Oregon to see my other family." I say painfully. I see the light in his eyes almost immediately dies.

"Oh, no they hadn't." He says looking down at his food. "I've got to go finish packing somethings, I'll see you later." He says before quickly getting up leaving. I start to feel guilty for having made him feel this way but at the same time, what did he expect? I never went to his house in holiday and never wanted to even be there during summer.

"What was that about?" Nico asks shoveling cereal into his face. Olivia smacks his shoulder and he mutters a 'what?' as cereal falls out of his mouth.

"Why aren't you going over to Potter mansion?" Peter asks.

"I like going home and seeing my other family. That's not a crime." I say picking up a apple and taking a bite out of it.

"Why do you never want to hangout with James?" I look over to see a angry Sirius.

I scoff at his tone, "What are you talking about?" He looks at me and rolls his tongue inside his cheek.

"Come with me." He says getting up and pulling my arm outside. I look back to see my shocked friends as he leads to me to an outdoor corridor.

"Why won't you hangout with James?" He asks me angrily.

"Excuse me?"

"You heard me."

"I don't know what you mean, I literally see him all the time chill out." I say before turning to leave. He grabs my arm and forces me to look at him.