18

Give me an award for updating twice within 24 hours.

I heard thunder in the distance. I quickened my pace to get home before it starts raining. I was exhausted. Lately I had been walking on eggshells to not be in the way for my mum. She had been very on edge lately.

She would get mad over anything possible, she forgot to make food, she forgot to eat food and it was always messy. Dad got very upset about that. I helped her with what I could. I cleaned up as soon as I could, I made my own dinner and always placed a plate on the table for her to eat when she felt like it. When I got up in the morning it would still be there though.

I walked around the last corner and could see my house. It was recently painted white, we all painted it together when dad was home over the summer. They barely spoke that time, and when they did they fought and... yeah. Mum told me to never think about it, just ignore it and it was none of my business.

The only light on was the one in the kitchen, but I couldn't see mum sitting by the dinner table. Maybe she was out? Or maybe she was taking a nap on the couch? I felt the first raindrop hit my chin, then the other one hit my forehead.

Suddenly It all feels so familiar.

I cross the road to my driveway. With every step they felt heavier and heavier. Things started to feel more and more familiar. I crossed the grass to get to the steps. I reluctantly walked up the stairs as I felt a heavy pit in my stomach. My steps were so heavy I was struggling to walk. I placed a hand on the doorknob and slowly turned it.

Something told me to stop.

I opened the door to the long narrow hallway leading to the living room. The walls were painted grey, they had my old drawings hung on the wall with the childhood pictures of me. In one I was on my dad's shoulders. I loved that picture, but not this time.

It was quiet in the house, I couldn't hear anything at all. I didn't want to enter the house. Something held me back, but I lift my heavy foot and placed it on the hallway floor.

I know where I am, and I need to get out.

I was in the same hallway I've been in a thousand times before. I need to get out. I know exactly what's gonna happen next and I want it to stop. I need it to stop. I felt the need to run, but I was stuck. I couldn't move. A cold shiver went through my body, I was frozen still in that awful hallway. I never wanted to see it again. I decided to close my eyes to try to stop it all from happening.

Suddenly my steps started making their way in the house. There was nothing I could do to control it. I tried to grab the door frame as resistance, but my fingers slipped. My feet walked further in to the hall, around the corner to walk up the stairs.

I felt like screaming

The steps creaked as my feet made their way up. I tried grabbing everything around me to stop myself from ending up there again. I was sweating, and my breathing was heavy at this point. My heart was beating hard and fast. I could both hear it and feel it telling me to get out.

Trust me I'm trying.

I was standing at the top of the stairs, staring down another hallway. I never wanted to see this place again. I swallowed hardly. For a minute I just stood there staring. down the hallway. The walls were a lighter shade of grey than the ones down stairs. The dark hardwood floor had a red carpet laying flat across the floor. These walls had nothing on them but the white doors. The closest one on the right leading to my bedroom, the second one leading to the bathroom, and the last one at the end of the hall leading to my parents room.