18

You're still thinking about last night—the sky, the leaf canopy, the delicious snacks, and the sexy man who organized it all—when the midday rush begins to slow. Lisa's still icing you out but it's within reason. At least today she's more present in her work and laughing along to the girls' jokes. In a few days, she might even look you in the eyes again. Your heart tingles as you admire their joy. Then, you feel a tingle in your pocket and pull out your phone.

"You shouldn't call me anymore."

"Y/N, we need to talk."

"Your girlfriend is ten feet away from me, close enough to slit my throat if she knew you called." You turn and face the wall, frustrated with how you must act towards Jungkook now. You want to hang up the phone but you also want to ask him how he's been.

"Come over tonight so we can talk in private."

"Is that a good idea? Lisa's doing so well here. I don't want to mess things up."

"You could never mess things up," he assures. "It's my fault. Please talk to me."

You sigh and pinch the bridge of your nose, ruined by this very difficult decision without enough time to responsibly consider the pros and cons. "I'll come, but you have to make it fast."

"I promise."

You look across the room to where the four girls fold clothes and frolic. Since when did your worries revolve around men? Not long ago, you were willing to hang upside down and flip inside out for your work, living and breathing for nothing but your business. Now, you haven't drawn a sketch in days.

Unlike yesterday, one hour flows into the other like a string of things being pulled together. You dread it because you know what to expect when night falls. Tonight, Jungkook will confess his feelings to you, plainer and straighter than he's ever been. Sure, you like him, but it's not enough to trump an already existing love that traveled here to save itself. You know this.

When the final hour rolls around, you say goodbye to the girls and lock the door behind yourself. You notice Lisa carrying her car keys when she leaves, hoping she drives to her apartment and not to Jungkook's. There'd be nothing worse than to run into her at his place at this time of night.

You curse and then pray as you approach his door. After a few deep breaths, you knock and hope, by chance, that he stepped out for a second or is caught up in the bathroom. You wait just five seconds when you decide to flee, but the door swings open as you turn away.

"Where are you going?"

You turn back to the door. His skin glows from the yellow hallway lights and his hair falls messily over his bright eyes. Has he always been this handsome or are you seeing him more clearly now that he can't be yours?

He takes your hand and pulls you in, hiding yourselves from the world outside. You sit at his table and sip the water he's poured. You're parched. You'd rather drink the ocean than be part of this table talk.

"I missed you," he says.

"I don't know what to say."

"Say you missed me, too."

"I can't."

"Because it wouldn't be true or because you wish it wasn't?"

You shake your head and exhale. "I didn't agree to come and talk about that. You said you have something to tell me."

He nods and grips his glass of water. "I'm sorry for putting you in the middle of everything. I had no idea Lisa would move here or that she'd want to get back together."