14

An eclectic energy had imbued the boutique while you were busy signing the lease at the mall. A few preppy guys and a bunch of perky girls crowd into a corner and chat up a massive storm. As you enter, they don't bother to break away from the screens of their over-priced phones or incoherent conversations to offer a proper greeting. They probably haven't done enough research to recognize you as the owner of this establishment. You're already displeased by the disrespect.

"They all annoy me," Yoonki groans.

You chuckle and pass her a clipboard. "Only one is getting hired today. Choose carefully."

Joonhee and Sojin manage the store while Yoonki joins you in the break room. The table is already prepared with a pair of chairs and two iced coffees. She makes certain you sit before she does. "Anyone wearing puff sleeves or rhinestones can just go home now. Those trends ended after Christmas," she sighs. If she wasn't already enrolled in a competitive online fashion academy, you would've offered her the promotion, and surely she would have asked. She's got everything you're looking for, except for time.

The first group of interviewees comes and goes quickly, leaving little to no memorable impression. Many have never learned the difference between silk and satin, and it shows in their purely cotton ensembles. One girl lists ten Instagram models as her fashion icons while a young man compares his charm to that of Ted Bundy, a famous American serial killer of the 70's. You send them both away with no regrets.

Most people only desire to earn a decent dollar as a store manager, but a bright-eyed beauty barges in with her own ambitions. She wears a bright red wide-leg pant suit with black pointed toe heels and a mini bag hanging from her shoulder on a golden chain. She's fierce and unafraid. "If Princess Diana was a man, she'd be Harry Styles."

You smirk and side-eye Yoonki who passionately agrees. "Harry's image is vintage but his ideas live beyond our times. The identity of fashion is fluid and no one could understand the assignment better."

"I think you and I understand it pretty well," the girl concludes.

You interrupt the bonding moment to ask, "Who are you wearing?"

"I'm wearing J-Hope's Neutral collection. It's genderless and bold, both in its positive message and powerful color."

Yoonki slams her coffee on the table, nearly spilling it over the reject pile of previous candidates' applications. "Y/N, she's the one."

You nod and walk around the table to shake the girl's hand. "Your name?"

"Lisa," she beams.

"When can you start?"

"How's right now?"

You smile largely and tongue your cheek. "Yoonki, send everyone else home unless they intend to buy something. They're crowding my shop."

As you lead Lisa to your desk, she hands you her résumé but you have no intention to scrutinize the details. You accept it only as a formality. She's worked in retail so she's familiar with most store operations. You only need to teach her to balance the books and block the schedules for appointments.

"We buy our fabrics from the store around the corner. They're the only one in this district but they boast a diverse collection to make up for it," you explain.

"I know it," she exclaims. "My boyfriend works there."

You lift your head from a box of fabrics you plan to recycle for the new collection and curiously ask, "Who's your boyfriend?"

"You've probably never met him. He works the afternoons doing stockroom stuff. Since he has a sleeve of tattoos, the old-fashioned owner doesn't like him interacting with customers too much. Such bullshit. Oops, sorry for the slip," she rambles.

"It's okay," you quickly deflect. "Did you say he has tattoos?"

"Yeah, my favorite is the tiger lily on his forearm. It's his birth flower and it's beautiful just like him," she animatedly describes. "But the words 'please love me' are hidden behind it because he's a hopeless romantic who hides it well."

You think you've seen it before. "What's his name?"

"Jungkook."

You could just die from shock. You wish this would've been revealed in the interview process. You've just face-planted in a load of shit. "How long have you been dating?"

"Well, if I'm being honest, we've been apart for some time. Long distance doesn't make the same magic that two warm bodies do. You know what I mean?"

You blush and force a chuckle. "No, I wouldn't know the difference." Fuck. Do you stand here and lie to her face?

"Trust me, you don't want to know. That's what brings me here. We agreed that if we lived in the same city again, we'd give it another shot. I can't wait to see him," she gushes. "I hope nothing's changed."

You excuse yourself to choke on guilt and embarrassment in the privacy of the restroom. You lean against the door and groan. Why is it that every time you like a guy, he likes someone else? And—always—it finds a way into your work life. You fix yourself in the mirror and head back to the floor after a quick breather. You can't hide yourself forever, but you can hide the truth from Lisa.

"Hey, since it's your first day, I'll let you off the hook early. You should go to Jungkook and see about making things work."

She almost knocks you off your feet with a sudden hug and thanks you a thousand times. "I'm so scared," she admits. "What if he's already met someone else?"

"Then, you'd better get there quickly and win him back," you encourage.

After she skips out, Yoonki visits you at your desk and sits on the edge like an elegant cat. "You look like you regret something."

You bury your face in your hands and sigh. "She's going to quit."

"What?" Yoonki cries. "Why?"

"I just have a feeling."

Before she can force an elaborate explanation out of you, Joonhee calls for your help with styling a batch of mismatched bridesmaids. You rush to the fitting rooms and forget about everything except the peach palette and pearls you're tasked with tying together. You love moments like these. The wide smiles of the bridesmaids and congratulatory claps of observant customers are enough to melt your heart. This is why you'll always place your business before any man. You diligently record their many measurements and preferences, organizing each profile so that if it could speak, it would be in her voice.

"Peach suits all your skin tones very well. What flower are we using?"

"Tiger lilies," the bride beams. "They're just so lovely. I can't get enough of them."

Contrarily, you've had enough of them for one day. "I'll keep that in mind as I make the dresses," you promise.

After the fitting, you flee to your desk and pick up the phone. You don't know what will become of Lisa and Jungkook after tonight, and you really don't want to talk to Yoonki about it. Instead, you attend a call with the contractor in charge of the new mall space and approve of all the impressive plans that Jimin had put into motion before you even knew you'd be signing the lease.

At least one good thing has come of your sexcapades. You just hope the other one doesn't bite you in the butt too badly.

⚘ ⚘ ⚘