15

Birds cheerily chirp from the ledges of barren branches despite the freezing temperatures that permeate the city. You whistle along as you hide your hands in the warmth of your armpits and wait for the girls to arrive. It feels even colder when one is alone. With each of their greetings, the temperature rises a few more degrees.

Once your joints have defrosted and you're able to bend your fingers without aching pain, you start a pot of coffee in the break room. You grab your phone to dial Jimin and discuss architecture plans, but someone else dials you first. You don't wish to have this kind of conversation first thing in the morning but it might be good to nip it in the bud like this. You hold your breath for a few seconds then answer.

"You didn't tell me you have a girlfriend."

"I don't," he denies. "We broke up a while ago."

"She thinks you're getting back together. Let's not make it complicated," you plead. "She came here for you."

"I didn't ask her to come to Seoul."

"That's too bad. She's here now and you have a promise to keep."

"I made that promise when the wound was fresh and I hadn't left Busan yet. I don't feel the same anymore."

You understand it from both sides but the bottom line is: you can't have hostility in the workplace. "You have to try."

"I'd rather be with you. Since I've met you, you're all I want."

His heartfelt confessions are always touching regardless of the amount of times or ways he reveals it, but you must put your business first. "I'm not looking for anything serious. Let's pretend we never happened," you choke.

"I can't unmeet you."

"We shouldn't see each other anymore."

"Y/N, I can't—"

"I hope you guys work it out," you say softly, cutting him off and hanging up before you can be swayed by the rest of his reasonings.

You slam a fist on the table, rattling the coffee pot and shocking yourself. It's not like you had hopes and dreams of dating Jungkook, but you had a fun run together. You weren't quite ready to quit the race and you hate how you did it. You groan and turn to see Yoonki silently tapping her foot in the doorway with crossed arms.

"Were you eavesdropping?" you ask, absolutely horrified.

She shakes her head. "I came to tell you that Lisa's in the bathroom crying but I guess you already know why."

For the second day in a row, you could just die where you stand. You make Yoonki promise not to stir the pot with the one-sided dialogue she just overheard but you're certain she'll divulge the details to Joonhee and Sojin if you blink for a second too long. You abandon all hope and make your way to Lisa.

"You okay?" you ask, kneeling beside where she sits on the toilet lid. She looks at you with teary eyes and shakes her head. Shit, did he tell her it was you? She places her head on your shoulder and sobs. Maybe he didn't. "What happened?"

"I swear, men change their minds more than they change their underwear."

"Did he say why?"

"No, but it's probably something stupid. He's always doing things on a whim. It's spontaneous and fun until your heart's on the line."

You know a little bit about that. His spontaneity is what drove your relationship, but it wasn't stupid at all. "Will you try again?"

"Of course. I didn't come to Seoul to pay rent all by myself."