16

The planning process for the collaboration with J-Hope is finally nearing its end. It's the worst and best feeling. You had a blast creating together and inspiring each other, and you regret that it can't last forever. He crushes a velvet sleeve between his fingers and approves of the durable material and soft texture. You hold a rainbow pleated skirt against your body and spin in a circle, satisfied by the flow of the rich fabric.

"Beautiful," he gapes. "You and the skirt."

You blush and throw it on the counter. "Clothing is like armor. Good ones can make anyone look godly."

He shrugs and fishes through the other samples, making sure to inspect every zipper and pull every loose thread.

"Is this the new shipment?" Lisa asks, joining you behind the counter to search for a spare measuring tape.

You nod and introduce her to J-Hope. "Lisa wore your brand during her interview and really stole our hearts."

J-Hope smiles brightly and bows his head to her. "Thank you for wearing my designs so beautifully. I hope you can do the same with our new collection."

"Of course," she beams. "I'm dying to sneak a peek right now."

As the two of them become more familiar with each other, you tag the clothing with a price gun, totally invested in this activity until a few words catch your attention.

"My friend Jungkook has the same tattoo of a crown on his finger."

Lisa's face lights up. "You guys are friends? We got this matching tattoo in Busan a while ago. I moved to Seoul to be with him again."

J-Hope curiously observes her tattoo and then eyes you confusedly. "I thought he and Y/N—"

"No!" you interrupt, full of fear. "You must be confused with Jimin. The names begin with the same letter."

Lisa raises a brow and continues shuffling through the shipment, but J-Hope asks another question. "Who's Jimin? Jungkook is the one who introduced us."

Now, Lisa drops the clothing and focuses on your burning red face. You shake your head side to side in a tiny movement. J-Hope seems to miss the cue but Lisa picks up on it right away.

"You said you didn't know him," she recalls.

You nervously lick your lips, hoping they'll know exactly what to say, but you struggle to form a single word.

"Ah, you're right. I think it was Jimin. He's the guy who did the stitching on the patchwork pieces, isn't he?" J-Hope fibs, trying to save you from the mess he's accidentally unraveled.

Lisa loses interest and continues her search for a measuring tape. "I'll ask Jungkook myself."

"It meant nothing," you defend. "Like you said, a whirlwind happened on a whim, and it never got serious." She isn't listening to your explanation. She's fixated on something in one of the drawers she's just opened. She slowly reaches in and pulls it out. The way your body freezes in place, you may as well donate your blood to a bank while it's still warm. You could just die again.

"I know he gave you these," she mutters, stroking the soft petals of the handmade bouquet, "because he gave me one, too." She drops it on the ground, stepping on it before walking out and heading in the direction of the fabric store where Jungkook works.

"I fucked up," J-Hope admits. You nod and lift the trampled flowers from the floor, memorizing their texture and color before tossing them in the trash. That's the right thing to do. "I should mind my business," J-Hope says, collecting his things and clearing the counter. "It's just, by the way Jungkook talked about you, I didn't think another woman could exist in his life."