10

The ramen house has an outdoor patio with heated seats and radiators to blanket food connoisseurs in warmth as they slurp delicious noodles under a crimson canopy. It's the busiest hour of the busiest day of the year—Christmas lunch—which means this place is swamped with lovers and losers alike. But thankfully, you'd made a reservation days in advance and thaw your ass on a heated cushion deep within the jolly crowd.

"Why haven't I seen you lately?"

You unroll a delicately folded napkin and spread the dainty cloth over your lap. "Honestly, Jennie, I've met a few guys that might be no good for me."

She drops the leather-bound menu on the table, shaking the water right out of your glasses. "How many?"

"Three."

"Not all at once, is it?"

You stare at her, amused by her outrageous imagination. She kicks you under the table and bounces in anticipation of your answer. "Ow! Not all at once," you say, rubbing your shin. "And I haven't even slept with all three."

The waiter writes your orders and collects the menus, but Jennie hasn't forgotten where you left off. "Well, what do you mean about them being no good?"

"No man is good," you declare. "They're all distractions, if not cheaters and liars."

Jennie reaches across the table and shakes her hand impatiently. You reluctantly rest your palm against hers. "Y/N, what Namjoon did was disgusting, but not all men are like that. He's not the standard. He's not even close to it. He's bare minimum, bottom of the barrel—"

"I know." You stop her. "I know. But we really were in love when we first met. It's like that. Like, how babies aren't born as criminals or abusers, and pitbulls and bulldogs aren't born to fight. Everything at birth is beautiful. Love is like that, too. I think it always ends in shit, no matter what it is."

She squeezes your hand and drops her head with a sigh. "Tell me about these guys. I'll tell you right away which ones are full of shit."

You giggle and squeeze her hand back. "The first guy I met was Park Jimin. He came in to get a few suits tailored, and I can't exactly describe what I felt at that moment. Up until we slept together, I thought I couldn't breathe. I couldn't even say 'hello' when he met me at the door. And since then, every time we meet or speak, it feels like I release another breath I didn't know I was holding."

Jennie's eyes glitter with interest, or maybe it's just the soft glow of the string lights that sparkle against her glossy globes. "He sounds so hot."

You giggle. "Wait until I tell you about Jeon Jungkook. I thought I was going to die. A sketchy guy was hanging around my car one night so I got scared and started to run. Then, Jungkook appeared, and suddenly I felt so safe that the whole ordeal seemed instantly ridiculous. I couldn't remember why I was afraid. But, you know what's ironic? He's an absolute thrill-seeker, and we do crazy things together. Believe me when I say he's even crazier in bed. I should be afraid of him."

"I've got goosebumps," Jennie gasps. "Does he ever hurt you?"

"Sometimes, but it also feels nice."

"Is there a safe word?"

"Yeah, it would be 'commitment.'"

You catch the napkin she throws at you and both burst into laughter over the table. After you toss the napkin back, she asks, "Will you ever date again?"

You rest your elbows on the table and frame your face with your hands. "I don't know. I kind of like it this way, having fun without the feelings."