XIII: Queen!

Emma

I couldn't believe what I was seeing, It's him, It's really him! How come I didn't know he's the CEO of J&L Enterprises, I wanted to forget about him after what he did. My life is going on perfectly fine and I certainly don't want him in it to ruin it.

My heart stung as I recalled those dreadful memories with him in my past, I gritted my teeth in anger as I stared at his face, he looked even more handsome now, his body more muscled and chiseled than how I saw him five years ago. His dark brown hair, slightly untamed but it looked perfect. Heck, he looked perfect but I wished his character was.

Those onyx eyes seemed to bore into my soul, trying uncover my mysteries. I saw hurt flash in his eyes, and my heart clenched. If only he didn't leave me that day we would've been somewhere else, happier.

I build a wall around my mind trying to focus on what actually he was here. I need to do my work, I shouldn't let my past affect my mind. I need to be professional, I can't let my brother and Athena down.

Ignoring him seemed to help me as I managed to get done with the presentation quickly and I know I did a great job. I watch him get up from his seat and stride towards me, my heart started racing uncontrollably. His eyes didn't waver from mine even for a second.

"That was an excellent work Emma!" My heart skipped a beat when I heard my name roll of his tongue so smoothly like silk. Shame on me to still be affected by him, I should move on but why am I feeling all that giddy feeling rush back to me?

I mustered up a blank face and faced him squarely "Thank you Mr. James and It'll be Miss Emmeline for you! I only like anyone close to me call me Emma!" I stressed the last part, he seemed taken aback by my response. What did he think? That I'll run back into his arms and forgive him for leaving me behind for his selfish reasons? I'm not that Naïve Emma anymore, I won't fall for his trap again.

"Okay Emmeline!" He said with slight annoyance that I was forcing him to call me by my full name. Then he started asking few questions about the project to which I gave brief answers. My whole body wanted to escape from his presence, I can't have myself falling for him again.

Thankfully zephyr came to my rescue and I immediately left them as they started conversing. I didn't miss the desperate look on his face when I walked away. I fastened my pace and left the cabin, my eyes teared up but I held it back. I shouldn't cry over a useless man like him.

"Emma wait!" I paused when I heard Athena's voice behind. I blinked back my tears and put on a smile to look alright before turning to face her "Hey!" I said calmly.

Her brows knitted "Why'd you leave? I was calling you?"

"Oh I might've zoned out!" I stated unsurely, rubbing my temple.

"Are you sure you're alright? cause you've been acting weird." She quizzed, narrowing her eyes.

"What..No! I'm completely fine!" I chuckled waving my hand, I probably looked like an Idiot.

"Emma if you want to share something remember I'm always here to listen and help you." Athena says, placing a hand on my arm. My eyes glazed and hugged her "Thank you Athi! I know I can rely on you." I mumble into her shoulder, I really needed this hug or else I would've broke down.

She rubbed her palm on my back soothingly and pulled away with a gentle smile "Take care!"

I smiled and nodded my head in response and went back to my cabin. I slumped into my chair and closed my eyes as I sighed out loud. What does he want from me now?