Chapter Forty-Seven

"Next up, with a lyrical routine to the song Crazy In Love, Millie Laken."

Breathing in and out over and over, the lights came on, shining only on me. The crowd was silent. The only thing I could hear was the sound of my nerves zipping through my body. My knees were shaky. No matter how many times I performed, I always got shaky seconds before I had to dance.

My eyes scanned the audience, pinpointing my family. That chair was still empty.

Roman still wasn't here.

"Millie, your music is on," the announcer said, his words echoing throughout the room. I held strong in my position until the song began to play. The piano erupted through the room and my body moved to the music. With each chord, my body struck.

Sofia Karlberg's voice soon rang through the speakers.

My body twisted and turned, bending over itself in ways that not everyone could. Lowering myself to the ground, I rolled around, splitting my legs and pointing my toes with all my might.

My hands glided down my body once I was standing, spinning around the stage in a sultry way. My movements matched the heavy, sexual emotion that carried through the song. My body rolled in slow, suggestive ways.

Roman.

He was all I could think about. His hands on me, his breath in my ear, his voice talking suggestively to me. Everything about him was suddenly addictive. With every new beat in the song came a flash of his perfect face. His features were sculpted perfectly.

He made me crazy and gave me feelings that no one had ever given me before. Ezra's cooler touch came close, but Roman's touch made my skin ignite. Roman was the one who made me find my sexuality. Just remembering the way his eyes had peered into mine when he kissed me for the first time made my muscles clench harder. As I ran my hands down my sides again, I imagined that they were his hands.

I felt it. The sexual tension with my routine was apparent, but there was something deeper, something real.

It was love.

Suddenly, Sofia's angelic voice disappeared and there was nothing but the piano playing again. That was when I couldn't hold it in anymore.

A tear slipped from my eye. The more I danced, the more I felt it. With every leap and triple turn, I felt his breath, his hands, his fire.

His familiarity.

All I wanted was Roman's large arms wrapped around me, keeping me safe like they had been for the past ten years.

On the beat drop, I crouched slightly and jumped. My back arched and my head flew back. It was as if I froze in the air while doing my firebird.

Ezra had made me feel things, probably more often than Roman had, but there was something about the way Roman touched me, kissed me, that made me feel... real. Confident like a lioness. Ezra had made me feel beautiful like a flower. I couldn't decide which one felt better.

Ezra or Roman?

Ezra or Roman?

Ezra or Roman?

Another agonizing tear slipped down my face.

My feet landed sternly on the floor. I tuned my thoughts out, drowning myself in the vibration of the intense music and the heat of the moment.

With one last pose, the music faded. I breathed heavily in and out as the crowd erupted in cheers, but my ears went numb. Instead of being on the stage in the middle of competition, I was in the studio with Roman sitting at the stool behind me. He was smiling while clapping his hands, telling me that everything looked perfect.