Chapter Three

I jumped from my desk in the second row as the bell rang, signaling the end of fourth period. I perked up, realizing that it was lunch time.

My hands tugged my t-shirt down over my black leggings, my straight hair falling down my shoulders. My sporty sandals stayed quiet as I walked through the halls, slipping past mingling students on the outskirts of the walkway.

Once I made it to my locker, I dialed in the code and slipped my books inside, grabbing my lunch. The locker door banged shut as I turned around. I gasped, jumping back at the presence of a girl standing way too close to me.

"Hey, Billie," the tall blonde smiled down at me. Her lips were covered in gloss and large diamond stud earrings shined from her ear lobes, her golden hair almost covering them. Makeup caked her face, making her look flawless. She wore knee high, black boots and a mini skirt. The shirt she wore showed off her perfectly tan stomach, a butterfly ring occupying her belly button. Her cleavage was modest enough, but daring and "sexy" as Roman would put it.

"McKenna," I greeted her, not having the energy to correct her. The first time McKenna and I met, she had gotten my name wrong by accident. When I corrected her, she remembered and called me Millie from then on. Just a few years ago, after a certain incident, she went back to "accidentally" getting my name wrong. I couldn't remember the last time she called me Millie. Still, to this day, she continued to call me anything else that rhymed with my actual name.

Why she thought it was funny, I did not know.

This was McKenna Caster. Tall, blue-eyed model who spoke of nothing but business that wasn't her own.

She was the gossip queen around Presley High School. Nothing happened in these halls without her knowing about it. A ginger-haired janitor who worked only my freshman year got fired for sleeping with a student, and who was the first to know? McKenna Caster. Principle Duncan, now divorced, was caught at a strip club about a year and a half ago. Who was the first to know? McKenna Caster. Roman Lee Saylor was found naked in my backyard with an empty beer can in his hand. Who was the first to know? That's right, McKenna Caster.

I had reason to believe that that night was the reason why many students thought that Roman and I had slept together before. Mckenna spread the assumption while Roman worked hard to deny it.

Speaking of Roman...

Because her mansion of a house was located in the wealthier part of town, where Roman happened to live, her and my best friend hooked up more times than I could remember. She was the only girl that Roman continued to go back to.

They had dated a few times, which appalled me. If you break up once, shouldn't you leave it at that?

In my opinion, they dated for the sex and reputation that their relationship included. Her looks and popularity seemed to match his.

Was McKenna a bully, you may be wondering? No, I did not classify her as one. Was she annoying beyond all comparison? Yes, but I was probably the only person in the world who thought so. With her low toned voice, Gucci and Prada bags, and need to get a lick of everybody's business, I found her to be a pest.

I kept conversations with her short so she had no reason to take any of my words the wrong way, leading her to assumptions and more rumors. Plus, I didn't want to stand by and listen to her yap away. I had more important things to pay attention to, like the dirt filled gum stuck to the floor.

"So, where's Roman?"

Probably making out with your sister in the bathroom.

"I don't know," I shrugged simply, keeping my thoughts at bay. I didn't want to drag McKenna's sophomore sister into anything. She was innocent... for now.