Chapter Seven

I began drumming my fingers on my steering wheel to the beat of the radio, which was turned down low. As I did this, I caught sight of my finger nails and gasped.

I was in dire need of a manicure. Normally, I wouldn't care, but what if Ezra and I did decide to go on a date? He'd have to hold these things.

The moon was full and bright, shining down on the hood of my silver car. I checked the time, rolling my eyes, angry that I would be missing out on at least an hour of sleep. That was if Roman didn't steal any more.

Right before I was about to leave him here, Roman's tall figure appeared from the doors of the YMCA building. He jogged over to the passenger side before slipping in.

He smelt of chlorine and his hair was wet. A towel hung around his neck.

"Weird time and place for a date, don't you think?" I asked, putting my car in drive and taking off after Roman shut his door. He shrugged.

"She was a health nut."

The car went silent as I drove down the highway. I could feel my eyelids getting heavy, but I didn't want to blare music or roll down my windows to stay awake.

I really hated Roman for this.

"What happened?" I asked, thinking that making conversation was the next best thing to help me stay alert.

"I told her that I didn't want anything serious. She agreed. Then tonight, she begged for something serious. I said no," he explained, using the shortened version, which I was grateful for. This story has happened at least a dozen times, so I wasn't surprised.

Roman always told girls, before they went out, that he wanted no strings attached. He wanted to go on a date, possibly hook up at the end, and then be done. No real relationship. Was it a jerk move? Yeah. But was it better than not telling the girl and just disappearing the next day? Yes.

Mckenna Caster was the only girl that could ever make Roman Saylor have a serious relationship. I had no idea why, but I didn't care. He didn't tell me much about their on and off again relationship. I never pushed him.

"Classic," I nodded, changing lanes.

"So..." Roman began, reaching forward to change the station. I slapped his hand away. He chuckled and moved to sit back against the seat. "What were you doing before I called? You sounded awake."

"Uh..." I began, swallowing.

Oh, you know, just imagining going on a date with the cute new foreign exchange student who I asked you to be friends with because I want him to like me, until you interrupted our first kiss.

"Wait..." Roman said, sitting up straight. He turned to me with wide eyes.

My hands tightened on the wheel. Did he know? He knew! How did he know? Did Cora tell him?

No, she couldn't have because I didn't even tell her about my crush on him. At least, not officially. Plus, she never talked to Roman.

"You were masturbating, weren't you?"

My mouth fell open and my cheeks instantly reddened. I gasped, almost swerving into another lane as my hands shook.

"What!?"

"That's why you were so mad when I called. I ruined your climax," Roman teased, staring at me. I blinked a million times, appalled at what he had said. He had made sexual jokes and remarks to me many times before, but it was very rare for him to talk about me doing something sexual.

"No! I... that's not... I wasn't..." The more I stuttered, the harder Roman laughed. The harder Roman laughed, the more my cheeks reddened. My insides shook as I wondered if Roman ever thought of me doing stuff like that.