Chapter Eighteen

My heart leapt into my throat as I reread the text for the millionth time. I was now lying in bed, my back against my mattress and pillows. It was torture not being able to send a message back to Ezra, due to Roman and his grandparents distracting me. I didn't want to reply to my crush around Roman. He was nosey at times and if he saw that Ezra and I were texting, he would wonder what was up and ask a million questions. Who knows what he would do with the answers.

Thinking of Roman, I reminded myself that I had to talk to him. Earlier today, I wanted to tell him that he didn't have to be friends with Ezra after all if he didn't want to, since the plan had worked. Ezra had many friends and even asked me out.. Sort of.

Now that we were planning on hanging out outside of school, I wasn't sure that I wanted Ezra and Roman to be friends. For one, if the two became closer, that meant Roman had more of a chance to find out about my liking Ezra. That could potentially lead him to knowing that I technically used him to get to someone else.

At least he would know how it feels.

Two, Roman could tell many embarrassing stories about me to Ezra. Roman would most likely act even crazier around the guy if he knew that I liked him. Back when I had to wear my first bra, Roman went around telling everyone that I was going to start leaking milk soon. When I had my first period, he teased me for weeks on end and even told Mickey about it. Both of them tried asking all sorts of questions about it, which just humiliated me more.

And then there was the incident with my first crush...

It already appalled me that Ezra seemed to be choosing me over the other girls in school. I didn't need Roman and his filthy, loud mouth there to possibly mess it up like the first time.

Shaking the traumatic thoughts from my head, I turned back to my phone. I stared at the keypad, my toes wiggling at the end of my bed excitedly.

"Ezra! So good to hear from you!" I said aloud, trying to find the perfect reply.

I sound like a thirty year old mom greeting my neighbor.

"What's up, stud?"

What was that?

"Ezra who?"

That was just awful. He would definitely stop talking to you then.

Before I could think anymore about it, my thumbs tapped at the screen.

Millie: Hey Ezra! What's up?

I chewed on the inside of my cheek as I pressed the send button. I waited patiently, staring at the delivered sign under my response, willing for it to change to read. It probably wouldn't happen right away since it took me about an hour to respond, but that didn't stop my staring.

After two minutes went by, I forced myself to drop my phone and do something else. It was about nine at night. My parents were watching a movie in their room, no doubt about to pass out from sleep deprivation.

I stared at my own TV, not wanting to turn it on. I recalled finishing all of my homework. My body was too tired to dance, and I didn't have any art skills.

Maybe I could read?

My eyes scanned over the bookshelf as I stayed in bed. Nothing sounded good to read.

As I blew out a helpless breath, I nearly jumped out of my bed when my phone dinged with a message. Taking hold of it in record time, I opened the message, frowning slightly.

Roman: Hey loser. Come to Booster's. Mickey's here.

Millie: Haven't you seen me enough today? Lol.