Chapter Twenty-Four

"This is Mickey's house?" Cora gaped, staring through the windshield. Her brown eyes were wide and intrigued. I laughed at her expression as I unbuckled.

"Yep. Roman's not the only rich boy on the football team," I joked, stepping outside into the night air.

Mickey's house was painted white with dark brown trimming. The house was very tall, but looked wider in size. It was the perfect place to hold a large party because it was surrounded by trees. Mickey was a lucky one who lived out in the middle of nowhere.

Creepy?

Yes.

Beautiful?

Also a yes.

Cora kept her white shorts on and added sparkly sandals. A nice purple jacket covered her top, which I hadn't seen yet. I wore wedges and a pair of black shorts with a light pink halter top that showed off my spine. I had the bottom of it neatly tucked into my shorts. Cora and I's face paint was gone, replaced with makeup.

Her and I walked through the mowed grass towards the house. The moon and stars were shining above, offering us some light. People were already filling the house, some standing outside on the porch. Blue, plastic cups occupied the railings, along with people's hands.

Cora and I stepped through the open front door, feeling the music pumping through the wooden floor.

Mickey's house didn't look as modern as Roman's. It looked more country than most. The floors were a dark colored wood, and there were large beams covering the ceiling, holding this place up. The smell of pinewood filled my nose, but it desperately wanted to be masked by the smell of smoke and liquor.

From being here over a dozen times, I led Cora to the kitchen perfectly. On the giant island in the middle of the room sat bottle after bottle of alcohol. Blue solo cups were off to the side on another counter.

I laughed at Cora's wide open mouth. Her eyes scanned over the glass bottles on the island, not knowing where to stop. I placed my palms on the counter, looking at her.

"Well, take your pick," I said, presenting the entire island to my friend with a hand.

I wasn't much of a drinker, so I didn't even know what half of these were. Usually, Roman was here to make my drink for me. Only being here for five minutes, I had no idea where he was. I should have gone to look for him before we came in here.

"Hey, Millie!" Cora and I turned to find Luke walking into the kitchen with a Coke can in his hand. I beamed over at him.

"Hey, Luke! You did amazing tonight," I gushed. "That touchdown you had in the last quarter was killer!" I said excitedly, shaking his arm. He had to have been proud of what he did tonight.

Luke chuckled and grinned at me. His hazel eyes lit up. "Thank you. I'm glad you guys were there."

"Me too."

Luke was about to say something, but his eyes locked on something behind me. I turned around, finding Cora picking up a squared glass of alcohol. She studied the label, spinning it around like it was a new artifact.

I glanced at Luke.

"Do you guys need help with your drinks?" Luke chuckled at me. I was about to tell him that we could handle it, but I glanced over at my clueless friend once more and sighed.

"That would be great," I laughed. Luke beamed with a laugh and placed a warm hand on my back.

"Come on," he smiled and led me to the table.