Chapter Twenty-Nine

As I shoved another carrot in my mouth, my phone lit up with a message. I snatched it and read the words.

Ezra: I have a perfect plan for us tonight. You free?

I smiled, my thumbs moving so fast that I almost couldn't keep track of what I was typing. After practice, I was free. Swarms of stress swam through me as I replied. I was supposed to be practicing for competition, but I found myself wanting to spend time with Ezra more. 

But I had to practice. 

But I wanted Ezra. 

As I sent the message, my mind was made up. 

Millie: Yes! What's the plan?

Ezra: Secrets Love ;)

I sighed, shaking my head, but the excited grin never left my features. Ezra wanted to take me out? Perfect! He was still interested if I did say so myself.

Ezra: Just be ready by 7.

Millie: What do I wear?

It took Ezra longer to respond this time, but it made the sound of the ding that much more satisfying.

Ezra: Cute and casual. Now stop texting me, you're getting me in trouble ;)

I giggled where I sat, wanting desperately to type a remark back. I held back, though, not wanting to actually get him in trouble.

"I did it!" I heard a sing-song voice from my right. I turned to find Cora dancing her way to me. Surprisingly, I beat her to lunch today.

"What did you do?" I asked, happy to see Cora so excited.

"Cora Marie Ledgemen has skipped her first class ever!" she yelled as she sat down next to me. I laughed, almost choking on my salad.

Yes, I had a salad. After a drawn out talk with my parents this morning, I found that they were right. If I wanted to win the competition, I had to get my act together and train like a winner. No more skipping practices and no more eating junk. I hated to do it, but it was only for a little while longer.

"You skipped a class? On purpose?" I teased, but needed to know the answer. Cora, wearing pearl earrings and a light blue, A-line skirt, began unpacking her food as she explained.

"Yes, on purpose. I skipped my first hour so I could sleep in."

"Who are you and what have you done with Cora?" I played along. She offered a prideful smirk before taking a sip of water.

"I really like this diverging thing, ya know? Trying new things..."

"Just don't get too carried away with it," I told her, worried that she might go off the deep end. I knew Cora was smart, so I trusted her to make the right decisions, but I felt that a good friend would offer some warning.

"Promise," she said with her fingers crossed. We continued eating our food, chatting about random things. My eyes caught sight of Roman, who was at his usual table. A girl, Amanda, was sitting next to him. I watched as she flirted up a storm. I didn't even have to hear her voice to know that she liked him.

Typical.

"So..." Cora sang, drawing me from Roman's sight.

"What?" I asked as Cora gave me a knowing smile.

"How was your date with Ezra?" she shook my arm excitedly. "I wanted to text you, but I didn't want to interrupt you guys."

As of this moment, there were only three people who knew about Ezra and I: Cora, Ezra, and me. She vowed not to tell anyone and I vowed to take her to another party.