A Sweet Reprise

You are sitting in your bed, reflecting on what Ram had spat out at you. You aren't going to the village with Subaru and Emilia anymore, so you have quite a lot of time to be left with your thoughts.

I hate myself for being so dumb. Ram never had any interest in me... This is obviously Roswaal's fault! Why else would make Ram toy with me like that?

I can't believe that I let my guard down like that. I let my desires get ahead of me, and I was fooled. I can't let that happen again. 

I can't be useless too, because I don't want to be the guy who's just good for housework. I've got to take things much more seriously now, and I have to stop slacking off.

I have to stop relying on others so much and take my fate into my own hands. I've just been Subaru's compliment ever since I got here. I was just planning on following the original Re:Zero plot and keep it from getting worse.

What I really need to be doing is to be taking action so that things are better.

I need to become more independent. Obviously, I can't rely on everybody since they're all scheming. Everybody has their own plan, so I need to make one for myself.

You grab at your hair, and sink further into your bed. You still had no clear goal in mind, just like you had been for your entire life.

What do I do?

As you pondered your future, a knock came from your door. You tense up, hoping that it wasn't a certain somebody. You wouldn't be able to face her and keep new tears at bay. Your first ever rejection was one that would have made any person go through pure anguish.

"Who is it?" You ask with a voice that is still a little shaky.

"It is Rem." You narrowed your eyes. 

Did Ram send her here to talk to me? If so, I'm not interested. Well, I don't want to be rude, so I'll let her in. I'll  tell her to get out if I don't like where the conversation heads.

"Come in." You say this with hesitance, and Rem noticed.

"(Y/N)-san, is something wrong? You do not seem like your usual self." She seemed genuinely puzzled, so you figured that she didn't know about what Ram told you. That, or she was a very talented actress.

You sit up straight, and scratch the side of your face. Rem came closer to your side, and you were almost tempted to tell her about your troubles.

The key word is 'almost'. After what Ram said, you were hesitant about sharing something so personal with Rem. 

You shake your head. "I'll be fine, thanks for asking." You give her a small smile, but Rem didn't seem like she was finished asking questions. 

"If you say so..." She started tapping her fingertips together, and began fidgeting. "If you don't mind, can you..." she started blushing, and you were about to call her out for trying to do the exact same thing that Ram did to you, but the end of her sentence stopped you. "Can you tell me about Subaru-kun?" 

This answer took you back by surprise. How cruel. I just got rejected, and you want me to indulge in your crush on Subaru. 

You let out a sigh. Rem is just so pure... I was just having some pretty dark thoughts, but she just came along and quelled them. Well, I'll make sure to do some more self-reflection later. Right now, I'll answer her questions.

"What exactly do you want to know?" Once you decided to tell Rem what she wanted to hear, you tried to buy a little time so that you could remember things about Subaru's past. According to your fabricated backstory, you two grew up together, so Rem expects you to know a lot about him.