He Is The Sunlight

Start from the beginning

Eyebrows pressing down in thought, I wondered about my life. Randomly.

I thought about on how Claire and I would be in the future, how would becoming a dad change my life, and what are the possibilities of being a parent? Everything rammed into me so suddenly I thought my head was going to explode.

So completely deep within my daze, I almost didn't hear the small laughter just yards away. My head picked up, and I could see two figures by the edge of the blue waves that crashed just beneath their naked feet. I figured it was just a couple having some time to themselves, enjoying the nice weather on the beach.

But what struck me was why at this hour?

Once I focused a tiny bit more, the faces got clearer; details shown better all over and I concluded that it was us.

Laughing, smiling, hugging, cuddling, kissing.. Our silhouetted bodies molding together like they were always meant for each other. With the burning orange sunrise raising above the surface of the waters edge, it shone brightly over our faces, presenting me with the emotion that we were just beaming. With love in both pairs of our eyes. I smiled, watching and remembering those times. Those easy, carefree days (that seemed like they happened ages ago) where we could just be together because we wanted to. No marriage, no kids, it was plain old raw and real as hell.

It wasn't like I was regretting marrying Claire.. and of course not our kids! I am incredibly elated about the arrival of my babies- boy and girl, and absolutely honored to have Claire as mine, and mine only for as long as I lived. To just see our relationship like that, it was like breath of fresh air. Another way to hit me on the head with a brick to make me come back to reality.

I watched intently with a bigger smile on my face, heart beating like a drum, as we disappeared into the crisp air, the action seeming as if we were ghosts.

"What are you doing out here baby? Its freezing." I jumped at Claire's croaky voice.

"Just getting some fresh air is all.." I mumbled, turning around and getting back on my feet. "How are you?"

"Better. I guess." I noticed purple crescents under her eyes, creating a darker look to her than usual. It worried me to see her this way.

"Good.." I barely said, staring into the bottomless pit of her eyes. If you had blinked, you would have missed the slight quiver in her eyes. Instinctively, I pulled her form into mine, constricting my arms around her protectively. She felt so fragile now, but I never wanted her to feel vulnerable. Ever.

"Want to talk about anything.." I whispered, my breath grazing her skin.

Her chest rose against mine in one big breath before she let it out slowly. "I had a dream.. that Andy went off to war."

"What?" My head jerked up. I never, no, I couldn't ever think of my son going off to do something that rash.

Her head tilted up slowly. The complete opposite of what my own had done. "You, Dani and I were saying our goodbyes to him at the airport.. It was heart wrenching Taylor, I can't believe I had to witness it." Her tone was quickly descending octaves. I pressed my lips against her forehead, smoothing the damp strands of her brunette curls out of her face.

"It's alright. It was just a dream.." I assured with a faint grin.

A fat tear rolled its way down her cheek as she stared into me, looking so afraid; scared out of her mind, all from this vivid dream.

"I hope you're right." Her head fell into my chest, as silent sobs vibrated from her.

Her round belly carried our children, Andrew and Danielle Lautner. And from then on, I vowed that I would protect them with my life.