The True Story

There was a long pause of silence before he talked again. "It was my first few days here" he paused looking over to the box "I like everyone else didnt know who I was didnt know anything" his eyes sparkled with tears "Even though all my memories were gone I just........ I could feel that something was missing" he pulled his hand up to his heart "I felt broken and empty and I couldn't shake that feeling" tears started to slowly make there way down his cheeks "I..... I couldn't take it. So one morning I got up early" he looked over to all the other sleeping Gladers "and I snuck out into the maze...... and I found the tallest wall that I could and I climbed the ivy and jumped off it".

My stomach dropped, a feeling I know far to well. My eyes were glazed with tears, my body felt empty. The one guy I thought had never had a bad thought in his life turns out to be broken inside.

"Corse I got caught by the ivy, tangled up in it" he gave a snigger while a few tears left his eyes "Snapped my leg in three different places like a proper shank" he sniggered once more making me smile "Landed hard on the floor, I thought I was done for, that that was it" he turned to me "But then Mihno found me..... somehow" he looked over to the map room "He picked me up and took me back to the Glade same as he did you" a tear came to his eye once more "Corse we never told anyone the truth but he gave me a second chance that day" the tear dropped while he looked down. A smile appeared on his face "I will forever owe Mihno for that day" he looked up at me putting his arm over my shoulder "Come here" he let out a quick laugh and pulled me close to his chest. As a few tears left my eyes. 

"I'm in a much better place now Tay, don't worry" he put is head on top of mine triggering a feeling of warmth to take over. One I think I have never had before, what I imagine would be like if you parents hugged you. I smiled and accepted the feeling. Newt was my best friend, the one person I could trust always, the one person I couldn't never let go off and I would never ever wish to hurt him. He was why I couldn't give up on escaping, I wanted him to have a happy life out of this hellish place. I promised myself something, that I would take care of Newt and get him out of this place even if it ment sacrificing everything.