Chapter 54: Cycles

"I have the pleasure to invite to this stand, one of the best students this Academy has ever had. He has come a long way and we have seen him grow. A student that showed us you can be better. Many know him as one of the trinity of prodigies. Sebastian Levisay!" Clarice came down from the stand while everyone clapped.

Sebastian walked up the three steps of the stairs. He positioned himself in front of the microphone as if he had been waiting for this moment his whole life. He wore the classic black gown with the Grad hat. His blue eyes penetrated the whole patio. The sun was setting behind him, the image of him was impressive.

He cleared his throat to try the mic. When he was certain it worked he looked up. I was there, sitting with Nik and Dominique. My eyes were even swelling up with tears.

"Well hello. Thank you Clarice, and although I do not feel like any sort of prodigy, I'm honored to be called as one. After six years of studying here I can say that this Academy has taught me more than life itself. Today I was called to represent the whole year of students. I debated with myself about what I could say, we are all so different, there are worlds apart from each one of us,"

As he said that he looked around the student body. Everyone was staring at him from their seats. All the hats made a square if you looked from the air. And Sebastian was there, standing, talking to every single person.

"But there's one thing that puts us together, the Academy. A place that many of us will forever remember as home. A place that showed many of us what art is for the first time, and somewhere were we can be safe and be ourselves. I'm grateful for having studied here, for all my professors, the staff, and everyone I met on the way."

We met eyes and he winked at me. I felt my cheeks blushed, some people even noticed that and had turned to me.

"However there is one person that I have to thank in particular, and that's Katarina. I learned from her too many things, and she has inspired me to do many others. But especially she has taught me what life should really be like. She forced me to be better even on the days I was my worst. Short story long, thank you to the Academy,"

After his last words the whole audience exploded in applause and whistles. Then Clarice patted his shoulder and pointed to the table where the diplomas were resting. He made his way to it, Katarina waited for him with the roll of paper on her hands. A golden ribbon closed the sheet. They shook hands before she gave it to him and then he hugged her tightly. She was surprised but then she hugged him back.

At the same time Clarice had started calling everyone else. One by one students started to go up and grab their own diplomas. After Sebastian had sat back, Clarice said Maia's name. She stood up, even with a huge gown she looked beautiful. She made her way to where Katarina was and they shared a hand's shake too, but no hug.

When the ceremony was over, Dominique glanced at me with a wicked smile. Oh god, it was time for the party.

(...)

"Seb, Seb, Seb!" The whole house was filled with people and the music was extremely loud. Sebastian had outdone himself with this party. He had invited every one of his classmates, all graduates like him. He was being lifted in the air while everyone screamed and laughed.

I was at a corner drinking from a red solo cup. Nikolai and Dominique near me. The rest of the people that were not lifting Sebastian in the air were now watching in amazement. Earlier that night someone had spilled alcohol on the floor so it was slippery and a mess. My black dress had been permanently stained. But I didn't care, I was having so much fun.

Sebastian had finally graduated, he was no more a student. Dominique had planned the party even before we went for the Thanksgiving trip. Everything was perfect, the whole room seemed to jump with the people, as if it would collapse on top of everyone.