σαράντα τρία {51}✅

Amora

The room was silent as we looked at each other. Kleio and my mother stood opposite each other around the map of Greece, I was to her right and Nyx and Iris to her left. By now the whole group had heard what had happened between Kassandra, Kleio and I which made the tension in the room almost suffocating. For a while, I wondered who would dare break the ice, if anyone dared to however I wasn't surprised when Iris spoke up.

I could tell Nyx was attempting to non-verbally warn her to not say anything stood but as usual, she ignored.

"I understand that there was recently a fight and so understandably there would be tension between us all but right now hasn't the time for such bullshit," She paused and I pressed silently to Athena that Kassandra would spare her life for the way she spoke as there was nothing I could do to save her.  She continued still, however. 

"We need to make sure we all, most importantly Amora come out of this thing alive."

Thankfully, it wasn't something stupid.

"I agree." My mother responded, "at least this one has some smarts."

I knew her comment was meant to dig at Kleio, but I placed my hand on her thigh hoping she would stay calm, and she did. My mother continued.

"Our plan was always to invade once Amora arrived, we weren't expecting you this soon and so reinforcements will take another week."

"A week?!" We all said in unison.

"This wouldn't be a problem if you were able to keep to your plan." Another petty dig, this time directed at the whole group.

"We got side-tracked and it wasn't our fault. Nobody expected Leona or Eva to be who they were, if you want to point fingers as you have been we could blame you. It was your fault Eva was with us, you forced her to be by my side." I challenged her blame game.

"It was her duty. She side-tracked because she let her feelings for you get in the way. That was her own fault. I cannot be responsible for every bad side effect of your divine heritage."

I bit my cheek in annoyance at my mother's denial and dodging of responsibility for her mistakes.

"What was your plan anyway?" She asked once she sensed I was calmer.

"Our plan depended on surprise," Kleio spoke next, "It won't be a surprise if we've given them a week to solidify their defences. Leona and Eva are probably in Athens right now standing over war maps like us but only getting further with their plans, we can't wait any longer." Kleio demanded.

"Well, you have to. Not every decision made has to be one of impulse. You are only young into your adulthood, you wouldn't understand how to make difficult decisions."

"I've had to make difficult decisions since you abandoned your country the day Athens came for Amora. I think I'm perfectly qualified. Every minute we wait is another minute they get closer to finding a way to taking Amora from us forever."

There was silence for a while as Kassandra stared daggers at Kleio who did nothing but stand her ground, staring right back with equal intensity. 

"We could lose if we wait any longer." Nyx supported Kleio's claim.

"We will lose Amora and countless others if we rush in with no solid backup!" Her palm slammed on the table, "That is the end of it."

Kleio mirrored her aggressive action but didn't follow it with any dialogue.

"That's exactly what I thought." My mother spoke venomously to Kleio, nothing had changed from when we were younger the tension and hate between them was everlasting. "In an hour or so I expect you back here, I've assembled the generals on this island for a welcoming party. Until then, stay out of trouble and stay on the island."