τριάντα οκτώ {38}✅

Amora

I stood with my back pressed as far as it could go against the wall. If I were anyone else I would have broken down in fear and tears. Thankfully I didn't, because I knew it was Kleio, and I didn't know why but I sensed that there was something more. There was always something more and so far I was right. When Eva said she had a complicated past I would never have expected this.

Hearing that story fuelled rage, a rage I never knew I had, but it made me understand her even more now. Her hostile and hot-headed personality was because of the torture she went through when she should have been living out her childhood. This only made my desire to help her stronger.

Kleio breathed heavily as she finished her mini-rant. I could feel tears forming in my eyes, but I scorned myself. I had to remember that it wasn't my fault, and I could help her.

This seemed like a good moment to let her know that I was there for her and that I would always be there for her. However, it seemed for the first time I couldn't quite find the words I needed to comfort her. So, I simply held my hand over her cheek trying to see if I could calm her down. I was hoping I was blessed with the same skills as my mother Aphrodite. For a second I thought it was working, but Kleio pulled away and she gently removed my hand from my face and mumbled.

".... Keep your promises..."

It wasn't the first time she mentioned a promise around me. Time and time again I wanted to ask her what it meant but it didn't seem like I was going to get anything out of her now as she walked back to the position she started in. I sighed in relief, not that I was scared or anything...I think. Being that close to Kleio for that long was just really...intense.

The bars of our cell shook violently and my head snapped in the direction of the noise. Behind the bars stood a woman draped in animal skins, she had a grin plastered on her face that could clearly be seen in the dimly lit corridors.

"A pity being the daughter of the goddess of love doesn't grant you powers of super strength." She mocked.

"Who are you?" I asked.

"Imagine the stories that'll be written about me? Medeia, slayer of Aphrodite's spawn."

Kleio stood up instantly after that comment and walked over to Medeia to spit in her face, "Over my dead body."

If my heart were able to perform human actions, at that moment it would have smiled like an idiot. I didn't want to get my hopes completely up and think she was doing it because she cared, this was Kleio; it would take her years to admit she cared about anything or anyone. So I settled with believing she defended me because she loved the idea of being a threat to people around her, she thrived off the fear.

"Take them," She laughed, wiping her face and walking towards Eva and Leona's cell. In her place, two women in heavy armour opened the gate of our cell. I looked at Kleio who had her fists clenched so tightly, that her knuckles were beginning to turn white.

I knew at that moment I had to act fast before things escalated. I rushed over to her and put my hand over her fist trying to warn her that starting a fight right now would end catastrophically.

"We can walk by ourselves." I turned to the guards stopping them from grabbing Kleio and urging her into more chains, she didn't need any more trauma triggers right now.

"This isn't about walking," The guard pulled chains from behind her, and I could feel Kleio react. Her breathing became uneven and loud enough for me to hear clearly. I had to think fast, I wanted to help, I couldn't let her relive memories like those.