δώδεκα {12}✅

Amora

The room was dim and empty, there were papers and broken furniture everywhere, the massive table had broken in half and on it was Kyrina who was bloody and bruised. Eva ran over to her, but I stayed back, there was something off. Where was Krista? I didn't drop my guard for one second, with my sword still in hand, I slowly proceeded forward leaving my stance wide ready for anything that could or would jump out at me. Eva had reached Kyrina's side, and her face was now full of tears, she was pleading and begging for Kyrina to wake up.

"She's not dead you know." A voice from the shadow spoke, low and sinister. Those words matched one woman only...Krista.

And sure, enough her figure appeared from the shadows. Her face was bloody along with her hands one held her jagged and uneven sword, and her other held a scroll; probably important but its value now drained due to the blood it was drenched in.

She walked forward and it looked as if she was limping. She was injured, this would make finishing her easier than I thought. However, I still couldn't let my guard down.

"Probably just seriously injured, but she'll live." Krista winced in pain, continuing. "She put up a good fight, so it's the least I could do."

Even in excruciating pain, she found a way to sneak that evil smirk onto her face.

Then I heard coughing from behind me, I turned my attention back to Kyrina and she was moving, ever so slightly. "The s-scroll...g-ge-" she coughed again "get th-the scroll."

Eva looked at me and I nodded.

"Leave this to me, do what you can to help your mum," I said to Eva. I turned my attention so that it was completely on Krista. "This stops now!" I shout, my blood boiling. "The murdering of innocents, your control over Sparta. Everything."

But she just laughed, "You're too late, we've been planning this from the day you were born, Athenian soldiers are already on their way. Even if you kill me, it won't make a difference...Sparta will fall."

"Not on my watch."

She chuckled. "That's why you won't be here to watch, I'll behead you right here, and place it on a pike as a trophy for all my efforts here."

I couldn't bear her talking with her anymore. With a loud shout, I charged forward with all my might, swinging my sword in all directions. She deflected each one of them and landed a clean strike across my stomach which sent me stumbling backwards.

"Pathetic." She spat. "For the Queen of Sparta, I was expecting much more."

I clenched my stomach, in hopes it would stop the loss of blood, but it only made it harder to stand up straight. Using my sword as a walking stick I held myself upwards, glaring at the woman in front of me, I fought my pain and attempted to stand upright on my own. Resuming my stance, I slowly edge closer to her. Even if she was injured, she's no fool when it comes to fighting, I had to be smart about this and not let anger consume me. I took a deep breath in and swung for her body, she dodged as expected but I noticed earlier she was limping and so I tripped her up, and she fell to the floor.

I took this chance to run my sword right through her head but at the last second she rolled, and I missed. I growled in defeat pulling the sword from the dent it had made on the floor. She was now on her feet again and smiling.

"You're smiling? What's so funny about death?" I ask, breathless.

She didn't answer and only charged forward. With little effort, I swiftly moved out of the way and swung my sword along the side of her body closest to me. She yelled in pain, but I didn't show mercy, next I kicked the woman into the wall with great force. It caught her off balance sending her flying forward where she hit her head on the stone wall. Still, it wasn't enough to kill her.