είκοσι-οχτώ {28}✅

Kleio

I couldn't stop myself; my body betrayed my heart and held its arm out to keep Amora behind me, away from anything that could potentially be a threat to us as we continued into the cave. There seemed to be natural light coming from further down the cave so I picked up my pace, still making sure I was hyper-aware of my surroundings and Amora behind me.

"I don't see why you have to be protecting me," Amora commented, breaking the silence.

I hushed her with my hand over her mouth. "Be quiet," I whispered violently.

She bit my hand and out of reflex, I yanked it away.

"Yes ma'am." She agreed with a cheeky smile.

I wasn't surprised she reacted like that, she hated the idea of always having to be protected. I remembered that as a child she would always want to protect others over herself, no matter the circumstance. When were children, I could tell how deflated and annoyed she was anytime she'd be walking around the courtyard with guards tailing her and watching her every move. As well as that anytime she had the opportunity, big or small, to protect me she took it even if there was a chance her life was at risk.

And I love that about her. I mean loved, the past tense, not now.

"Your friends have abandoned you," I snapped my head towards where the voice came from, the cave began to slowly light up as we neared where I guessed Phoibe and Iris were. We stooped at a corner within the cave. She had no idea we were here and so it meant we still had an advantage.

Amora tugged on my shoulder and whispered, "Come on we have to help her."

I rolled my eyes knowing she was right.

"You can help her; I'll do the killing." I agreed as I avoided her gaze once again and kept my eyes forward, focussing on putting down the Athenian dog.

I took out the dagger she gave me as a child, running my hand over the blade.

"What are you doing?" She asked, I could feel her peering over my shoulder, and her breath lightly against my neck. I took a deep breath in composing myself.

"Get Iris and Phoibe out of here on my signal," I held my dagger firmly in my hand looking around the corner at where Ptolema stood and aimed for her thigh. Even though I had the skill to finish her in one go, she didn't deserve a peaceful death which is why I opted for the brutal method instead. I threw the dagger, and it cleanly struck through the flesh of her thigh. She screamed out in pain and fell onto her knees.

This gave Amora an opening and so she ran out, freeing Phoibe and Iris from their ropes and she guided them out. Ptolema was still on her knees writhing in pain. I kept my calm and cold exterior as I rounded the corner and approached her. I violently yanked the dagger from her thigh and grabbed her by her hair, so her neck was exposed, and she was looking up at me.

She was in pain that was clear, but there was no fear in her eyes as she spoke.

"I will not cower before you nor death. My cause was true, I know what awaits me." She gritted through her teeth in pain.

"Any last words?" I asked dismissing the babble she spat at me.       

She only laughed. "Your Queen will fall at the hands of my sister.  Long Live Pa-"

I cleanly slid the blade across her throat.

"Nobody touches her without going through me." I let go of her hair and she drops to the floor limp. I wiped my blade on her robes and put it back on my belt.