τριάντα-ένα {31}✅

Amora

Nobody was in the room when I finished my bath. I sighed in relief, realising I finally had some alone time. I slipped into a tunic and squeezed on my leather sandals. Next, I stood to put my weapon belt on when I noticed that Kleio's breastplate was still on her bed. It made me think back to the first time I saw her in it. I walked over to it, brushing my hands across it slowly and gently, feeling every dent and scratch.

"Amora?" A soft voice spoke.

I jumped, yanking my hand away because I initially thought I heard Kleio, but it was only Eva. She was giving me her usual concerned but caring look. It somehow calmed me, and I smiled back at her.

"Yeah what's up," I answered.

"We're about to leave for Macedonia."

"Do I need to bring anything special?"

"I think it's better to travel light."

Eva inched closer and looked like she was nervous about something. She was playing with her fingers and her face had a tint of red which was easy to see because of how pale and clear her skin naturally was. When she looked up at me she smiled before opening her mouth to say something but then at that point, Iris barged in.

"We're under attack!" She panted as she slanted out of breath at the doorway.

Eva grabbed her bow from the bed and ran through the door. I followed grabbing my sword but was stopped when I reached the doorway.

"Making moves on Eva I see?"

"Not the time Iris," I pushed past her and continued down the corridor. Once I reached the opening I look around and saw the charge gate around tall brick walls had been breached. On the level below me, I saw that Kleio was easily holding her own in the courtyard. Other Spartan warriors were by her side, but she was in the middle of them. Of course, at the centre was the definition of grace and beauty. With every swing of her swords, she hit her enemies cleanly before swiftly moving to the next. Eva caught my eye at the top of the stairs. She was doing her best in eliminating any Athenian she could from afar, firing as many as 5 arrows at once. I tugged on Iris and ran down the stairs.

"Tell Eva and follow me. We need to go, they're obviously after me!"

I continued, sheathing my sword and cutting down anyone in my path without much difficulty. Iris followed behind me, crazily swinging her daggers and screaming in victory. There was mostly just a blur of blue and red robes and capes but the only thing I was focussing on was Kleio. The horses in the stables were neighing and bucking in panic and before they could break from their bonds and escape I pointed to them, and Iris seemed to have caught wind of my plan.

Eventually, I caught up to Kleio in the centre of it all. Somewhere along the line, we had managed to end up back to back. She didn't seem to notice me at first so I took advantage of the fact that I was so close to her without her getting mad.

"We need to leave now," I said once I had gotten used to our close contact My voice was stern for the first time ever when talking to her.

"In the middle of a fight, we're winning?" She questioned my command understandably.

"It'll cost the Spartans here too much. The Athenians are after me, so if I go they'll chase me," I explained shouting over the sword clash.

Kleio sighed, "I hope you know what you're doing."

"Trust me."

She turned around and looked at me properly like she was searching for something anything that meant she could trust me. I didn't know why but my body thought it would be appropriate to touch her arm to help her believe she could. It was sweaty and bloody and flexed. I ran my thumb over the back of her hand for a second before a felt an arrow fly past my face and through an Athenian soldier's forehead. Accuracy like that could only come from one person and as I looked in the direction it came from I saw Eva lower her bow and look at both of us with a face of thunder.

Kleio cleared her throat and stepped away and from that, I suspected that I needed to remove my hand, so I did. From behind me, I heard neighing and galloping. Eva who had just shot down another guard jumped down to our level joining us in the centre. Iris came into view next, she was on a horse next to another with an empty saddle. Iris then held her hand out for someone to take. Eva took first and jumped to sit behind the thief.

Without warning, Kleio grabbed my waist, I couldn't help but clench her tunic like I did when she saved me from drowning...right after she pushed me in. Just like it did back then, her body tensed. Being so close to her caused my heart to begin pounding out of my chest. I was pretty sure I Kleio could hear which only made my breathing more frantic and panicked like I was hyperventilating. As the spare horse passed she jumped and grabbed onto the saddle. She threw me up first before jumping on in front of me to control the reigns. I knew she was strong, but I may still have underestimated her strength.

"Hold on." She demanded and I was in no position to argue.

I leaned forward so I could her waist tightly. I looked behind and Iris was smiling widely and winked when she met eyes with me. I sighed rolling my eyes and then I caught sight of Eva behind her. For some reason, her eyes narrowed, I believed she was maybe trying to focus on the road ahead. We whizzed past the gates of the fortress, and I could already see the Athenian soldiers scrambling back, trying to chase after us.

"Your plan did work." Kleio praised.

"Was there any ever doubt."

She chuckled very shortly. I was taken aback. I don't think I've ever heard her laugh in any way.

"Where are we going?" I asked, still in a daze.

"To Lalaia, a friend of mine will escort us for the rest of our journey from there." Kleio whipped the reigns again; the road was bumpy as the horse picked up speed, but I managed to lay my head on Kleio's back. She tensed again but slowly her body calmed down. She was calm, and so was I, calm enough that I was finally able to sleep.

-

I want them to get married :(
don't forget to vote share and comment!
would love to hear your thoughts on this part because it's getting more interesting
NEW A/N : Follow me on Instagram (writings_of_artemis) and twitter (artemis_writing) for updates and sneak peeks of my WIP's and future projects!
Love y'all
-Artemis