σαράντα {40}✅

Kleio

I had taken my time with Amora on my shoulder, I didn't want to shake her too much and I didn't want to completely run out of energy. As I made my way to the ship I could feel her stir and murmur every so often. Sometimes it was words, sometimes she said whole sentences. However, one instance stood apart from the others, the one where she said my name.

"Lily..."

It was almost a whisper as her face was right by my ear. I shuddered thinking back to the last time she called me that, the last time anyone called me that.

-

My mum rushed in and out of our hut as a fire raged mercilessly outside, women were screaming at the top of their lungs as other strange women in silver armour and blue cloaks raced around our village leaving a trail of blood in their wake. I sat with my knees to my chest, shaking as I rocked back and forth in one spot on the floor of our small hut that was very quickly being engulfed by the flames from outside. In the midst of our house and my life falling apart, the only thing I could think of was Amora.

"Lily!" I was snapped out of my thoughts of the girl as my mother handed me a sack almost the size of me, "Hold this." She urged.

"Mum..." tears welled in my eyes.

"No time my flower, we need to go." She turned on her heel to walk out of the house.

"What about Amora?"

"Amora will be safe."

"Mummy Amora said she wouldn't leave me," I pressed, refusing to leave the house. I was adamant about waiting for Amora, remembering the promise she made me.

"Lily, that may have been the case a while ago but not now. She needs to fulfil her duty as Queen and forget about us."

"No... she...she wouldn't, Amora would never forget about us!" Tears I had held back began pouring at an uncontrollable rate. Having to hear that Amora needed to forget about me ripped my heart out of my chest. Even though I knew this situation wasn't her fault I still took my anger out on her and refused to follow her. I was convinced at first she was lying, she had to be. Amora promised me, she promised she'd never leave me, that we'd be together forever. My mother grabbed my hand and led me out of our hut, there was no haste in my movements, I only dragged my feet along. My mother noticed and began to tug on my arm even harder as if she were trying to pull it right out of its socket. But then I saw her, Amora running with Kassandra and Aphrodite in the distance.

"Amora!" I screamed out to her hoping she'd hear me, but she didn't stop running.

At first, I thought she didn't hear me which is why I wiggled from my mother's grip and ran in her direction. "Mother come! Amora will save us!" I shouted to my mum as I escaped her grasp, but she urgently dragged me back the other way, not listening to my pleas.

"No my Krinos, come with me it's too dangerous we need to go-"

Those were the last words my mother breathed out as I watched an Athenian soldier run a blade through her heart. I fell to my knees screaming out in agony as if I were the one who was stabbed. My body fell forward onto all fours as I cried over my mother's body. Thunder roared over me as I continued to cry. I looked back and saw Amora looking this way, her eyes met mine across the battlefield of mud rain and blood but her eyes...they were empty. Then she turned away quickly. I turned back and the soldier that had killed my mother had disappeared. I rested my head on my mother before I allowed myself to sob further. I hoped I would be able to feel some warmth from her body but she was cold and still.