τέσσερα {4}✅

Amora

Lakonia, stepping off the boat the air almost smelt different, it tastes different too, maybe that was just me still feeling sick. As if the crowded and unorganised atmosphere of the boat wasn't enough, it was again duplicated in the town before me. It wasn't the best of settings; I was sure I could see as well as smell the fumes coming from the stale fish in the market stalls. Merchants begged and pleaded with anyone who passed them for drachmae.

"How neat," I mumbled to myself.

Eva must've sensed my disgust and approached me from behind. "Without proper care, some places rot. But you're here now and soon this will be a distant memory."

Her words held a push, something I didn't really know I needed until now. It really hit me, I'm going to be in charge of a nation, an empire. I have no idea what I'm doing, I only knew how to wield a sword good enough to help me win in a ragtag battle against Kyrina, that's not the same as being a ruler.

"Sparta needs a 25-year-old girl who's been sheltered her whole life to bring them to glory?" I questioned.

"You are royalty, running a country is in your blood, if you struggle I'll be right here, guardian and advisor like I said."

"I still only believe one of those things."

"It's wiser if you keep your mind open, that way your response to unexpected situations is better." Eva flirted catching me off guard.

"Is that my first lesson?"

"I guess, it could also be defined as common sense." She shrugged.

I laughed. Kyrina was a bitch for keeping me away from the outside world for this long. If this is what I've been missing then I'm really going to enjoy being integrated back into society. I liked being around Eva, I'd like to say we were friends. I know it's only been a few hours, but she is going to be around me the whole time, so I might as well make it enjoyable for us both.

"We're not here to idle, follow me." Kyrina motioned for us to hurry up and we ran after her as she speedily walked through the crowd.

It was disgusting, with sweaty bodies, pickpockets, and diseases, I hoped where we were going wasn't in the same state. The war really did have a terrible effect. I was never able to see it, Kythera was a secluded island, people on it were only concerned about drachmae and mostly minded their own business. But this, this is terrible. And to think- I could've fixed this, but my parents "for the benefit of Sparta" threw me away.

I was so caught up in my thoughts that I bumped into a hard metal object. I rubbed my forehead whining in pain, looking up I realised it was a person and I bumped into the heavy spear they had tied to their back.

She turned around and her dark green eyes almost struck fear in me. Her stare was hard as I stepped back, unsure of what to say. I was caught very much off guard and somewhat intimidated by her straight facial expressions. Her look never left mine, as if she were searching for something, anything.

To my surprise her expression changed instantly, a smirk formed from her dark but perfect lips, and she looked at me as if I were her prey. "Watch where you step gorgeous." Her Greek accent thick. "What's your name."

"A-Amora."

She chucked at my state. "Cute, I hope I see you again Amora."

Hearing her say my name sent shivers down my spine. This was completely different to how Eva made me feel. Whoever this woman was she somehow excited me and scared me at the same time. Part of me loved it and was extremely curious.

Sadly, I was pulled from my mysterious trace. "Get on the horse." Kyrina's voice broke my thoughts as she slapped the back of my head and held her hand out.

"Maláka," I grunted, taking her hand and jumping up onto her horse. If I were to share a horse I'd most definitely prefer to share one with Eva. But from where Kyrina was riding I figured I'd have a good enough view of our journey. I decided to do what I do best and nag the shit out of Kyrina.

After we'd navigated our way through sickly crowds, we reached a clearing where there were a lot fewer people and instead of mucky fumes, I could only see luscious green fields and the golden sky. The sun was even hotter here than it was on Kythera. I had a loose string wrapped around my wrist, I untied it and used it to tie my hair after braiding it in one. I let it fall to my shoulder.

"How longggggggggggggg?" I dragged my words out on purpose.

"Shut up and enjoy the view." She snapped back.

"Gladly." I turned to Eva, who chuckled at me looking at her.

"I like your hair." She noticed straight away, and I was a bit taken back. "It suits you, but your hair down is gorgeous still."

"I get that a lot." I joke. Nobody but that mysterious woman in town has called me gorgeous, other than me in the mirror occasionally when I was feeling lucky. But like Kyrina encouraged I did try and enjoy the view, not just Eva. I looked beyond her and to the far stretch of mountains on our left, so high I could see traces of snow. To my right there was more level ground, this was where small farms were and tiny villages, none like what we just came out of. It was like the war had left this part of Lakonia untouched.

And then I looked ahead of me, and not far ahead I began to see large red and golden buildings, behind four large pillars which were holding up the red and black flag known to represent Sparta. I smiled knowing that this was the place where I might finally feel like I belong. A home, a true home. If only I were coming back to my parents. I sighed but brushed off my sadness, this wasn't the time.

We neared the pillars and Kyrina pulled on her reigns, stopping the horse. She got off the horse and helped me down.

"So, you've started to be nice now that I'm back to being royalty huh?" I teased.

"Keep talking and we can have a rematch where I won't be holding back."

"Yes ma'am." I walked to Eva's side. "What should I be expecting?"

Her face twisted as she thought of a response, but at no point did beauty leave her face. "Your mother left a council in charge, the council had been used to being in power for years now, they might not be as welcoming as me, or anyone for that matter. But if there is any problems don't forget you have the power to chop off all of their heads with one sway of your hand."

Ah,enemies already. I ignored the unerving feeling in my stomach and breathed out, attempting to calm my nerves

-

NEW A/N : Follow me on Instagram (writings_of_artemis) and twitter (artemis_writing) for updates and sneak peeks of my WIP's and future projects!
Don't forget to vote comment and share!!
Love y'all
-Artemis