σαράντα τρία {43}✅

Amora

I woke up on my own for once, with nobody arguing over me and no Iris screaming or poking any of my body parts which allowed me to sit up without any difficulty this time and stretch. My bones cracked as my body extended and then I heard the door swing open. I was expecting Iris to make her usual entrance and so mentally I prepared to deal with her nonsense for the next 10 minutes, but then blonde hair rounded the corner... It was Eva.

She quickly lowered her head and apologised incoherently.

"Why apologise?" I asked.

"You just seemed to be enjoying yourself with that stretch. I disturbed you." She chuckled.

"Hm, I was actually. Is there something else you wanted to say though?"

"Oh! We've docked at Euboea. Kleio is cranky and just wants this to be a quick job." Eva chuckled nervously again.

Great, does this mean she's gone back to being completely closed off now? My mood dropped at the thought, I loved being able to talk to her and look past and see everything she was trying so desperately to hide.

"Amora?" Eva asked.

I snapped my attention back to her. "Huh yeah. I understand I'll get my stuff." I smiled politely, swallowing the unnerving feeling I had in my stomach, I had to ask because it was either now or never.

"I'll be outside." She turned to leave but then I stopped her from asking the question.

"Why didn't you tell me?" I began.

"What?" Her eyes widened but it didn't look like she was confused at all.

"Why didn't you tell me I knew you, " I continued now with my voice sterner.

She sighed, stepping back into the room and closing the door. "Please hear me out before you freak out."

I turned to face her as I fixed my weapon belt around my waist. I nodded and allowed her to continue speaking.

"Kassandra was hellbent on making sure you knew how to look after yourself and that you were ready for eventually getting rid of Paris. She wouldn't let you live the life Aphrodite wanted, a normal life. And so, she was particularly disapproving of your relationship with the peasant girl Lily."

"What did Lily have to do with me not being able to 'fulfil my destiny?"

"You two were inseparable. At first, we all thought it was a really cute friendship but then Aphrodite suspected it was more. She called her your adelfí psychí (soulmate)."

"My soulmate?"

Eva nodded, "So on the night of the invasion, your memory was taken away. Kassandra wanted you to forget everything in hopes you wouldn't come back looking for Lily instead of you know, fulfilling your destiny."

I clenched my fists to hopefully stop the build-up of tears, but it was useless. I was both furious and upset that Kassandra would do something like that, and that Eva had left me out of the loop up until now. All those memories, my childhood just erased because of this...this destiny that was forced upon me.

"Do you know who Lily is?" I asked with my voice breaking.

She was silent. Which only meant the answer was yes.

"Eva," I asked again.

"It's Kleio." She whispered.

The world seemed to stop, and everything clicked in my mind. That's how they knew each other. That's probably why she hated me, I promised I'd never leave her and then I broke it, all the years of pain and hunger and poverty she must've all directed at me because I had completely forgotten about her.