πενήντα επτά {57}✅

Amora

I wanted to be angry at Kleio's behaviour but it was hard to make an argument against her actions when thanks to her, Hera's judgement was forgiveness. I glanced briefly at her as Aphrodite's hand rested on my shoulder and began to guide me away.

I didn't see Athena or Kleio joining our departure which made my heart drop. I was led out of the temple and into a room that was smaller but still had enough room for 3 divine beings and one half-divine one.

"What do you plan on doing about Persephone?" Hera asked, the question seemed directed at nobody, but I felt most responsible so I answered.

"Kassandra, my mother, has staged an invasion coming in about a week. Even with some of Paris' forces hurt by what we did, she outnumbers us greatly," I explained the situation as best as I could.

"It seems your plan was doomed from the start," Artemis stated, almost as if she was disappointed.

"I will permit you to stay here until the invasion. Leave the handling of Persephone to me." Hera assures me.

"Will it be that easy?" I inquire.

"I won't be able to hold her off forever, but maybe enough time for you to be able to kill Paris."

"Kill?" I repeated her statement in confusion. Sure the topic of taking Paris down had been brought up before but the act of killing her... it wasn't yet discussed.

"I've seen you kill the subjects of her cult with my own eyes. Am I mistaken?" Artemis questioned after looking worriedly at Aphrodite.

"Yes, you are correct."

"So what makes this any different?"

"They were only her subjects," I explained, "Puppet leaders even. They didn't hold the power she does or the pull she had on people. I fear ending her with such violence either privately or publically will cause the people of Athens in strong support of her to cause a problem. If I want to bring peace to the Greek world then I can't have that."

The room fell silent, a lump began forming in my throat and my skin began to heat up.

"She's right." A stern but soothing voice spoke, looking behind me I noticed that Athena had walked in, but Kleio was nowhere to be seen. Athena after making her entrance continued her statement in support of me, "The people of Athens won't take a violent death lightly. A punishment less flashy but equally as merciless needs to be inflicted upon Paris. The new age of Greece can't be formed in fear."

"Where is Kleio?"

"That's unimportant now Amora," She answered me back swiftly.

I opened my mouth to speak up but Aphrodite spoke for me instead, "No, we can't overwhelm her. We need to discuss this on our own. Let Amora see Kleio. They've barely had any time together."

Hera had no opinion on the matter, so Artemis spoke. "Aphrodite is right, they're here for assistance. Even if Athena granted her life again, she technically witnessed a death of a loved one and is still processing everything we've now exposed her to."

I smiled to myself in contempt knowing that finally there were a group of adults who cared for my wellbeing. I knew it would last forever but for the short time they were in charge, I would make sure to enjoy it.

"Very well," Hera finalised the decision, making Athena hesitantly agree. "We will find you before sunset," Hera promised and like that the four gods disappear leaving me to navigate their world on my own.

I didn't waste any more time outside so I rushed out of the room and back into the temple. A small figure was sitting on the closet row of seats to the floor and I guessed it had to be Kleio. I ran over to her side, slightly panting as I stopped and I was right, it was her. But she refused to look at me.