πενήντα τριών {53}✅

Amora

The heavy Athenian armour stuck to my skin and weighed me down under the scorching Greek sun. Athens in the day despite its bustling atmosphere seemed to be at peace as if it were in a world separate from the war. Even though there was a lack of danger and crime in central Athens, we still played the part of our job. Walking tall and firmly around, ready to enforce Paris' law. Kleio suggested it is better we look like we're in character instead of being questioned when someone catches us out of character.

To cover more ground and be productive in our time here, Kleio and I had agreed to assign Nyx and Iris to destroy grain from farms around Athens. This way they stunt the food that would get to Paris' supplies for her soldiers; if there's no food there's no cooperation and if there's no cooperation I doubt her subjects will be willing to purr their lives on the line.

"How do Athenians not toast themselves alive in this armour daily?" I asked.

"They've always had a knack for going overboard with everything, I see now they take it literally in every sense."

I laughed briefly at Kleio's dig toward the Athenians, I guess she was still a Spartan at heart. As I laughed she reached the last straw with the armour she had stolen and desperately yanked the helmet off her own head.

Once she was free, I could hear now how laboured each breath was while she shook her head letting her stunning grey hair lose. I had never asked why she had dyed it, there was nothing wrong with it, if anything it suited her better than the dark hair I remember her having in my visions.

"Can I ask you something?"

"Yeah Sure," She answered with no hesitation. The helmet was now held comfortably by her waist as we walked.

"Why did you dye your hair?"

"Spontaneous decision?" She shrugged, smiling cutely.

"Is that the real reason?" I pressed further.

"Could it pass as a real reason?"

"Kleio I know I said I wasn't going to press you, but I thought you admitting your undying love for me was the biggest milestone we would overcome, not stories from the past. I want to learn about what happened after I left."

I could tell it was a somewhat sensitive subject, so I entwined her hand in mine as we walked to help calm her nerves. I did mean what I said and if we were going to take a week off then it would be wrong to finish that week not knowing anything new about her.

"I want to know everything that happened, the good and the bad because there's absolutely nothing that could change how I feel about you for the worst. I love you."

I couldn't see her face because she refused to turn and look at me properly.

"There's a tavern up ahead," She responded, "We can eat, and I'll tell you everything you want to know."

My mood peaked at her agreement to be open with me so still holding her hands I picked up the pace of our walk so that we'd get to the tavern sooner, Kleio picked up on my trick but neglected to do anything about it. We weren't questioned when we entered the tavern the busy bodies moved out of the way and made sure we were able to find a clear table, which I quickly learned was one of the perks of being a high-ranked guard in Athens.

This only reminded me of how I met Kleio, or how I re-met Kleio...I wasn't sure what to call it. She sat down and her first move was to demand cups of wine from the servers here. I didn't want her to be completely drunk, I needed her to be able to talk to me without being intoxicated, we both needed to remember this.