13) Parameter

Xiang

"Emperor Xiang?" Chancellor Hui's raspy voice snaps me from the incautious thoughts of my Daiyu. That was the name I had given her.
It fit her so well.

"Did you hear us?"Chancellor Hui and Minister Li's eyes are glued onto mine.

"No" I answer truthfully.

"We said, that content of your fathers will was to maintain the Qin Dynasty. Meetings, conferences, land delegations. This encompasses all of the duties of an emperor. There was one important parameter as well—-"

"Spit it out Hui" I snapped. I knew he was stalling for something.

"You must be betrothed to a woman of nobility with a suitable heir to continue on your fathers legacy and maintain the Dynasty."

Anger encroaches my heart as I hear the news. A loveless marriage is not what I anticipated as ruler of the dynasty.

"I have only been emperor for 3 days and I am already required to betrothed?" These men had no shame.

"Sorry to displease you, your great, but the parameter of the father's will states this." The chancellor bows but I knew he was far from sorry. He loved to relish in my unhappiness.
"Either you find a suitable wife, one of royal blood or we find one for you."

I frown, banging a fist against the glass vase and making it shatter. Blood drips from my palm as I stare into the distance.
Each man in the room bit their jaws, knowing my anger was more lethal than my lack of knowledge. The air was tense.

They looked amongst each other, understanding my anger and frown. "Emperor... this parameter is of grave importance. You must deal with—"

"What's her name" I cut him off, already knowing they went behind my back to find a suitor.

"Fai Li Mei. She arrives in two nights. She is respectable and easy on the eyes. She will arrive in court with her family. She is eager to meet the new emperor of the Qin dynasty."

"And what say do I have in this?" My words were blunt. I had no reason to hide my displeasure.
The men remain quiet.

"Of course. None." I curse beneath a growl, answering for them and bite my jaw once more, looking to the distance.
I wouldn't have a chance to tell my Daiyu.
I couldn't.
It would change the brewing relationship between us.

"We must remind you of the importance of this union emperor." Chancellor Hui continues. I fumed, annoyed at his self appointed sense of importance.

"If any women were to stand in the way..."

"I understand the weight of importance!" I reiterated, standing up to take my leave. "This meeting was pointless. Write it down on a scroll next time. I hate to see your face more than I am required and my time is precious chancellor" I snap, pushing open the doors to leave.

I would tend to my open wound later.
Now? I had to find my Daiyu and tell her of the news.

Akazi

I make my way to my room in the hougong and see Tai Lee bent over my floor, folding something and pushing it beneath my bed frame.

"Tai Lee?" I announced. She stands and smiles walking over to me and pulling me into a warm embrace.

"How was your night with the emperor?"

"Good...Surprisingly? He was very calm and let me stay the night"

"That is good too hear. Did you two..." she hesitated before looking away. I shook my head no and blushed. "No... no" I mumbled nervously, staring at the murals that decorated my walls. She nodded and sighed, sitting at the edge of my bed.