35) Address

Xiang

Akazi fell to her knees and held her shoulders with fear, shaking at the very thought of her untimely demise.

I glanced at Akazi with reverence and fear. Who was this woman who so carelessly tested my strength of devotion to her.
I wouldn't lay a hand on her. Not today nor tomorrow.
Not ever.

"Come." My voice was hushed but quick. Akazi only looked up, into my eyes but refrained from my instruction. She seemed to watch me cautiously, almost as if she didn't trust and for some reason, that made me sad.

I bend to her level as she knelt on the floor, pulling her soft brown hands into mine. Thick tears streamed down her cheeks as she stared into my eyes.

Her breath is fast, anxious. I place my heart against her chest. Her heart was beating faster than the drums of my empire's drum.

"It's not safe here" I warn.

"I am not going anywhere until you dispose the list" she frowns, stubborn and resilient.

"And then what Akazi? I live in fear? In pride that I followed my father's instructions and the instructions of the dragon heads before him. Another woman discarded and the cycle continues on. Then what?"

She is quiet.

"I can dispose of the list, but I'm doing it my way. One that doesn't involve murder." I wipe her tears away, kissing her forehead to calm her fears.

"Come" I guide her to stand, and wrap her in my arms. I hear her sigh before burying her face into my chest. How easily she molded into my arms.
Her warmth ignares a flame within me. I wanted to pull her closer and never let her go for a moment like this, I prayed it lasted a lifetime.

——-

We dress in dark clothing and go outside to mount his horse. His servants had prepared it for us to embark on our journey.

I asked no questions. I didn't feel like being curious tonight. All I cared for was to remove this cursed tattoo from my back.

We travel for just a few minutes to a small shack in the outskirts of town.

"We have a stop to make before the real journey"

I press my hands against his shoulders as he lifts me off the horse. We walk down the cobble stone path. Xiang knocks on the door and a small light illuminates the small shack.

"Xiang! it's the middle of the night?" It was a tall man. He looked menacing but his eyes looked kind. His hair was long but neatly packed away. He was a healthy looking man. The signs of hardship and war painted his body.

"And here you are awake" Xiang teased. They chuckle in familiarity before the man looks at me and smiles.

"This must be her." The man watches me and instantly places my importance. "Nice to meet you Daiyu" he smiles bowing. I wondered if Xiang already told him about me.

I bow in return. "Hello" I whispered. Xiang pulls me in his arms before leading me inside the little cottage, quickly closing the door behind him.

The man watched me suspiciously before looking at Xiang. The man didn't need a title, for he knew the emperor would not bring a woman who he cared not for.

"I messed up Jun. F*ck I messed up" Xiang paces the length of the tiny house. The man invites me to sit on a bamboo mat and I take it quickly. He goes to the kitchen and puts on a pot of tea.

"What did you do this time emperor" his voice was smooth but direct. The way he said emperor sounded almost endearing? I knew these men had a long history together.

"I kept a list...I wasn't supposed to.. the Tai yen"

He clicked his tongue but nodded. "It's been compromised?" The man named Jun said knowingly.

Xiang looked at me then back at the man.

"I have been having the same dream... maybe it is a vision or real life...I would be foolish to think it nothing but true. But a man in a blue mask comes into the emperor's room and...exposes my back, he touches my back... "

"Your back? Why?" The general repeats again to clarify.

"I am the Tai yen" I admit, quickly showing the markings on my back. He finally understood and looks and Xiang

"You know that list and it's importance Xiang"

"I know... I know but ..."

"How? How could you be this foolish!" he snaps. Xiang stood there obediently as the man chastised him. "And I suppose your name is on there?"

"Obviously" Xiang scoffs.

"Do you understand what you have done? Not only did you put yourself in danger, you put the dynasty! For what!"

"He spared my life!" I interjected at the same time the kettle boiled. The sound of steam filled the silence of the room.

The man walked over to take the pot off the fire and made us each a cup of tea.

"Those men brandished me like cattle. And next year, they'll brandish another innocent woman. The cycle will continue on. Xiang spared my life and I will be eternally grateful" I hadn't known that I was touching the emerald necklace Xiang had gifted me, signifying my new title of queen consort.

The man inspects the necklace and hums.

"You are in love" he shakes his head, letting out a lazy chuckle. "That is the one thing I warned you about emperor. Love will cloud your brain like a whirling tempest"

"I didn't come here for  love and life advice. Spare me the idle prattle Jun" Xiang snaps, throwing his tea cup into the fire. I had seen his anger before but it had never been this lethal.

"Then why did you pay me a visit emperor?" The man stood, bending to clean the broken shards Xiang had shattered against the floor. It seemed as if he was accustomed to the outburst.

"I need the address of Mángrén"

"Going to her won't help emperor"He smirks.

"It doesn't hurt to try." He replied.

"And let's say she takes the list from her back. Then what? Someone is roaming free with the contents already. You don't know if they have copied it again or told more people"

"Then that is a risk I will choose to take. I need her address." The man looks at Xiang then at me before scribbling a few notes on a discarded piece of paper before pushing it into his hands.

Xiang looks it over and leads me to stand, intertwining my hands with his.

"I need protection. Every man on the list is in danger. Including me
Two men have already died."

He nodded, understanding.
"I'll instruct the guards and station more men around the perimeters"

Xiang nods, shaking his hand before bowing. I bow to show my respect and we both leave the warm house, venturing on our adventure to the woman named Mángrén.