3) Fire

The next morning

The majestic forest of the KaiLi province is the perfect backdrop for practicing. I would frequent here often to escape the harsh realities of my village life or the prying eyes of my mother. Plus, I did not mind the little woodland creatures that visited me as I play my melodies.

I pray they came today.

The warmth of the summer day blankets the kingdom. Fresh blue waters gush peacefully along the grassy banks of the land and the gentle patters of droplets set the mood.
It is a warm day.
Hot but not scorching.

My feet climb to the tallest point of a rock near the flowing spring. I tuck my knees beneath my floral Hanfu, crossing my legs before taking out my flute.
It was a fine piece of artistry.
It was my tranquility; my peace.

I moisten my lips eagerly before lowering them to the blowhole, and then?
I play.

I feel the airy melody transport me once again.
What was I today? Oh, that's right. Today I am an empress fighting for the right of her people.

The sound of footsteps set in the distance but I think nothing of it and focus my attention to my hand placement. Meticulously, I glide them against the wooden grain of the flute.

I force my eyes open, just a smidge, to observe the tranquil scene.
Ah! There they were.
Two deers, an elk, and a few squirrels surround me.
Five more rabbits hop towards me, nibbling on what looks like moist tree bark.

I try and hide my laughter as I observe them. They were cute but attentive.

"Focus Akazi" I think to myself and continue my tune, making sure to take deep breaths as my mother instructed.
Deeper, my lungs drew in air and now I was floating.

My song stops and my eyes open to take in the environment. The creatures linger which meant my tone was pleasing to them. They refused to abandon their spot which meant they wanted an encore.

Before I push my lips to begin again, I hear the distant yells of the village women.
"Ahhhhh!!!" The scream was bloodcurdling.

"AHHHH!!"
There it was again?

The animals bounced away as I snap up to depart. I knew that were sad our time of cadence came to end but I would visit them soon.

——-

I run back to the village but am met with fiery inferno. Every house was on fire or in ashes.

The people ran every which way causing even more hysteria. There were children crying, abandoned in the village squares. Buckets of water and clothing were tossed recklessly against the muddy grounds.

"Mother!!" I yelled. My only focus was to find her. My strength escapes me as I see familiar faces charred with the flares from the fire or bloodied with marks of swords.

I reached my house in the west and prayed for the safety of my mother.

"Mother!" I yelled but my heart drops as I saw her as kneeled against our kitchen floor.
A tall man with a heavy iron suit held a sword to her throat.

"Go Akazi! Run!" Heavy tears stream down her almond shaped orbs. A look of utter defeat fills her features.

"No mother! No!!" I take a step towards her in an attempt to decrease our distance but the soilder tightens his grip around her throat.

"Leave her alone!" I shout but before I could run to try and stop him, the sword pierces into her abdomen.

The small twinkle that lingered in her eyes left her in an instant as she watched me from the distance.