44) Fireworks

Akazi

Xiang enters into his chambers and watches me as I read over his bindings and scrolls.

"I sent her away." He says, his eyes still glued to me."To a safe house"

"Mei Li?" I say her name. He winces at the sound of it but nods.

"But...you haven't consummated your marriage yet. No...Xiang you must" I frown, walking over to grab his arms.

"I haven't named a queen consort" He looks down to meet my eyes.

"You didn't know emperor? Genji had already claimed the title"

"She is delusional" he smiles, pulling me close. We stare at each other, letting the silence of the room overtake us. And we kissed all night,  my breaths lessening as I dozed to sleep.

——

I woke up the next day and was presently suprised he was still there. I lifted my head, kissing his chest until he smiled and woke.
"Good morning emperor"

He kisses my curls before pushing them back to take in my features. "Good morning Queen" he says.
A loud boom pops just outside the window as Xiang and I kissed breathlessly.
"What was that?" I jumped, cowering into his arms. The noise took me by surprise.

"Just fireworks. They're prepping for the orange moon lantern festival." He pulls my jaw over and continues kissing me.

Another pop sounded and I sit up. "Oh! That is tonight?" I clap excitedly. It seemed like I lost track of time in here.
"I love the orange moon festival! The smells of fresh dumplings and rice. The sounds of shouting booth merchants as they try to barter. And the sights!"

Xiang stands from the bed and slips into his pant robes before walking to the window's edge.

"I never got to explore the festival. My father never allowed it." He revealed, looking to the sky as another firework popped. "I could never leave my room so I looked foward to watching the fireworks in my room. It was my only escape from the duties of the dynasty"

I felt sad for him as I saw his face downturn. I slipped from the covers and wrap my arms around his stomach, pulling his left palm and intertwining it into mine.

"Then I know what we must do tonight."

"I can't Akazi. I have a meeting with signatures. My schedule to meet the chancellor and minister is tonight. The chancellor will never allow it.
Minister Li and Chancellor Hui will never let me step out the palace doors"

He looked into my eyes as he tries to explain the situation. It was going on deaf ears however.

"Who says they have to know?"I smile, kissing his cheek before heading to the bathroom to dress.

——-

Later that night

We blend into the shadows of the night. I wore a dark green cloak that covered my face. Xiang's was dark brown in contrast. His hood was lower and he had a black bandage over his arms to cover his tattoos.

"What did you tell them?" I ask him as we peek around the corner.

"That I was going to use the bathroom." He whispers.

"How long ago was that?" I smile, trying to hold my laughter.

"Two hours ago" he chuckles. His arms wraps around my waist in security as another palace guard passed us. That was another close one! We had almost got discovered twice!