38) Haughty

Akazi

Xiang kisses the crease of my neck softly as I rest my cheek against his chest. We had just finished our engagement of passion. He seemed distracted during our time but I didn't want to pry for his reasoning.

"Thank you" I whisper.

He looks at me, running a thumb against my cheek. "For?"

"For everything.. for taking me to mangren and...
I am no longer the Tai Yen! I am just Akazi and it feels good" I smile excitedly,  happy that I was free from that depressing past.

He sighs and looks into my eyes. It was if something was at the tip of his tongue.

"I...I...don't deserve you Akazi" he muttered, averting his gaze.

I smirk and kiss his lips with care, "You are right emperor.You don't deserve me" He laughs and pulls me close, coaxing me for another round and I eagerly obliged.

——
Later that morning

I come into the hòugōng well rested and calmed. Xiang said my stay at the hòugōng would last for three days as the general implemented the new security measures in the royal wings.

As I am escorted to the wing that housed the hòugōng, I am met with the hustle and bustle of the day.

Servants ran every rich way with patterns of gold and jewels. Palace chefs sprinted through the hallways, yelling recipies and ingredients they needed.

"What's going on?" I ask a girl of the hòugōng. A seamstress dashed past me with a sea of red cloths.

"A Wedding!" The girl exclaimed before running off.

"A wedding?" I whisper to myself.

Another girl sees me and smiles, "Yes! We were all invited! We're getting gowns and jewelry to wear. Oh Daiyu, it's magnificent!" She holds up a robe and skips away.

I smile at the happiness of the women. It was boring being stuffed away in here at the hòugōng doing trivial games and tasks If it wasn't for Xiang, I too would be excited for events such as these. I did not blame them for their excitement.

"Daiyu!" Tai Lee comes over. We hug in familiarity and jump together. I was excited to see my friend. "I have so much to tell you!"

"I hope it is all good news!" She smirks. Another women screams and runs to get a piece of jewelry from the pile of gold and silver.

I see a cushioned mat and sit down to rest. Tai Lee remains standing, pressing her robe over her body.

"How is it?"

"It looks beautiful on you! The blue brings out you skin tone" I smile. She nodded and accepted my words. "Whose is it?" I play with the pretty patterns on her dress as it tickles my hands.

Her face drops as I ask the question. "Daiyu..." she says through a low whisper.

"You don't know!!" I hear the grating voice of Genji behind. I didn't wish to turn my back to face her. Maybe if I ignored her, she would go away?

"The emperor's favorite plaything being left in the dark! Imagine that ladies" she brags. A few of her lackeys surround her and laugh.

"It is HIS wedding Daiyu." Genji continues, "Emperor Xiang is getting married."

My heart stops and my smile drops as I hear her words. It couldn't be!
A Wedding?
I knew he had no obligation to tell me, but I was still taken aback by the unexpected news.