37) Bad News

Who here is watching the World Cup
Omg! This is my new face claim for Xiang:

Who here is watching the World CupOmg! This is my new face claim for Xiang:

Also Me:

Yes I know he's Korean and this is an ancient Chinese historical romance but whatevs!

Xiang

Morning arrives and I am in my Daiyu's arms as she recovers from the events of the previous night. She fainted from the mere shock of pain.

The time was probably 3am? Maybe 4...
I lost track of time after the second set of forested trees on the journey back to the palace. It had been a long night but I was thankful the markings on her back were gone.

Now maybe she would feel safer in my kingdom.

A few healers entered in and tended to her wounds.

"Emperor" I hear a knock at the door. It was two healers with a basket of oils and bandages. I had instructed them to tend to her wounds every hour on the hour.

They move over to the bed and carefully peel off her bandages, putting a thick paste of brown cream and salts. Akazi didn't move an inch as they concentrated on the more tender parts. She must have been exhausted and her deep sleep reflected that.

After a few lengthy minutes, they finish and bow before taking their leave.

I pull her into my arms once more and watch her as she sleeps peacefully. Although I was relieved she was no longer the Tai Yin, Mangrens words of caution echoed in my mind.

"For every action, there is an opposite reaction."

I knew what omens like hers meant, even thoguh I refused to believe it. Something wicked this way would come, and I must be prepared to face it.

——

I am at my desk now, glancing over the drawings of the protective barriers General Jun had sketched the night before. It was expansive yet practical. Hopefully, these additions to the palace  would keep the intruders out. As I bent closer to observe the writing, two guards enter my wing, kneeling at the base of my doors.