21) Sanctuary

Akazi

Our bodies were pressed against each other, sweaty from the heat of our night. We lounged naked in the the bed, relishing in the tranquil silence. He pulls me to into his chest, kissing my throat with care, reminding me just how much he cared for me.

I traced my fingers over his tattoos as he kisses my forehead. He stared at me in relish as I observed each one, making notes of the more intricate designs.

 He stared at me in relish as I observed each one, making notes of the more intricate designs

"They say a man with this many tattoos must be weary as a traveler?"

He chuckles and shrugs. "I am a free spirit."

"It does not pain you?"

"You become accustomed." He steals a quick glance at my back and looks away. He knew I did not have a choice when brandishing my own.
He willingly received his. Mine were a reminder of my past.

He runs his hand against my spine, soothing my troubled spirits. The reminder of the dead dragon head was still etched in my mind. It was his was of saying sorry for the monstrosities of my fate.

Xiang

My Daiyu rests in the solitude of my arms; her hands were pressed delicately against my chest. She was dozing off, fatigued from the night of our heat. Although her body was present, her mind was somewhere else.

"Tired?" I whisper, pushing her tight curls away from her cheek.

"No." She smirks as she tries to fight off sleep.

"Can I tell you something I've never told anyone?"

She lifts her chin and rests it against my chest so she could look into my eyes. She nods.

"I grow jealous of others as I watch them drift to sleep."

"Jealous?" Her lips form into a curious smile. "Why?"

"All their concerns dissolve from their subconscious.
All their worries and fears leave them for just a moment and they are allowed to rest as if they have been enlightened with continual peace."

"And why don't you sleep emperor?" She frowns, worried for my well-being. As she lifts her eyes towards mine, I melt.

"It is the trouble that never comes that causes the loss of my sleep"

She looks saddened by my confession.

"But now? I can rest my eyes, even for just a moment because all my fears?
All my thoughts? They mean nothing.
They melt away when I am with you Daiyu."