27) King Ali

Daiyu

Another night and I was here again, summoned in the empress's room. I bowed to show my respect before standing to meet her gaze.

"The people have been speaking a great deal of you Daiyu"

"Good things I hope?" I ask.

She plays with the ends of her elegant robe but ignores my question.

"The king of the Kanva Dynasty has requested for your Dizi personally"

"The king of Kanva?" I repeat after her.

"Yes. King Ali. He reigns there. Xiang and him have been at odds. There is some land Xiang requires to expend the Quinn Dynasty but King Ali is a stubborn man. I hoped a little playing from the emperor's prized musician should soften his stubborn little heart?"

I hum but remain quiet. Xiang hadn't told me of a King Ali, then again, Xiang was a very private emperor when it came to affairs of the Dynasty.

"This is a very important relationship. You willl entertain him by all means"

"With all due respect empress what I can do is entertain him in song. Anything else will have to be discussed with Emperor Xiang"

I could see her twitch in annoyance but she nods.

"Tonight you depart."

"But tonight I was—-"

"Surely your obligations to the kingdom come before anything you had planned tonight?" She interrupted.

I swallow my pride and bow. I must.

"Yes your majesty, but I had a meeting with the emperor. Surely his needs mean more than any king?"

She stood and strolled past me. Again she ignored my words. "Pack light Daiyu"

—-

The next day

I couldn't even say goodbye to Xiang before the carriage was loaded. No matter, I would see him soon. After my performance, I would make sure to go home.

I arrived at a magnificent castle in the mountains. Tall clay walls formed into a fortitude of whimsical style and charm. It was an expansive castle with large iron gates to match.

I am greeted by an older lady with a kind face. She had long, jet black hair and wore colorful garments.

"Ahh!! The emperor's Daiyu! Come come! Come in!" She bows and leads me out the carriage.

She snaps and a few guards gather my trunks.

"So you have arrived right on time. There is the palace war room. And here is where our garments are stained with color" she points and she provides the impromptu tour. She took me through the expansive and elegant hallways filled with drapes and candled chandeliers. Soon, we turn into a room that held elegant chambers where beautiful women of every age were preparing for dinner.

"King Ali will be so pleased! Imagine the Emperor Xiang gifting his Daiyu to the dynasty!"

"Gifting!" I gasp, making sure I heard her words clearly.

"Yes! Gifted! Did you not know you were a gift to our kingdom? Emperor Xiang instructed it" the woman frowned.

"No...no he would never..." my world began to spin as I heard the words. How could Xiang do this.
Before I could even think of his betrayal, Li Mei entered my mind.

That evil witch!

"I have to talk to the king! There has been a fire mistake."

"There will many opportunities to talk to the king Daiyu. First, we must get you ready to perform!"