43) Safe Palace

Xiang

I stormed into her gaudy chambers with haste. I had hated it since the moment she opened her doors to show it off to the people.

Li Mei sat tall, lifting the rim of her cup and sipping her tea in blissful solitude. She knew what she did and relished in it. Why? Because it brought me to her in the end.

She did not fool me for once second.
I snapped and 10 guards came in, surrounding her entrance.

Four guards were behind me and two more in the rear, blocking her path of uncertain escape.
Her Handmaidens stood beside her, in quiet solitude, bowing to me as I came in.

"What is this? An ambush?" She smiles pridefully.

"Quite the opposite." I scoff.

She placed her tea on the table and looked at me.

"I talked with the general. The frequent break ins in the palace. The threat to yourself?
I deemed it best to have you housed in the safe palace in Kyoto"

I could see her eye twitch as she heard the news. "No. ... no I'm fine here"

"I didn't present the news as a question." I say behind a rigid tone.

"You can't do this Xiang! You cannot! I am empress of the Quin dynasty and I'm staying here to fulfill my duties!"

I flipped over her wooden table full of teacups and glasses, shattering all the contents on the floor
before storming over to her. I snatch the back of her hair, holding her throat with my palm and pushing her to the wall.

"Is that backtalk I hear?"

"No...no never emperor" she stutters.

"The confidence you have to stand here and pretend you have influence is insulting. I warned you not to touch what's mine."

"I didn't touch—-"

I tightened my grip so she could quiet. "Lying is not becoming of you" I smirk before letting her go.

I stare at her then my guards. "Make sure she is packed and put my palace by daybreak."

I walk to leave her room, excited at the realization that I would never have to see it again.

"We still must consummate the marriage for my title to be recognized."

I try to hide my smile as she presented the fact as if it was new. I turn on my heel and walk over to her, bending low to meet her gaze as she rested in the floor. "As of now, you are nothing more than a piece of paper to me.
Even equating you to paper is too righteous. You are nothing and will be nothing. You will waste away at that palace envying a woman you will never be."

Rage filled her core as she realized the truth in my words. She remind silent, only staring into my eyes.

"You are to leave here before daybreak." My hand lifted to her neck now; my grip temporarily restricting her airways. "Understand?" I repeated myself just in case she did not hear me the first time. She would understand the situation of her actions.

"Yes... yes..emperor." She said, pressing her palm against mine, reminding me of my grip. I let her go and storm out of her quarters, ready to return to my Daiyu.

Author Note
Okay! So Xiang handled business! No more Li Mei ✨