6) Three Rules

The next day

News of my fathers death had spread like wild fire throughout the Dynasty but the reaction was mixed.
Many cried in sorrow and circumstance as the news reached the masses while others celebrated and rejoice. He had not been favorable the last few years. The people were tired.

I for one was not upset nor depressed.
Indifferent is what some might call it.
He hated me and I him so the feeling was natural.

"Again!" general Jun yells. He lifts his arms up so I could strike each one. It was another hot day in the heat of the sun and Jun had me practicing and training. Sweat drops down every ridge of my body as we exchange our blows.

 Sweat drops down every ridge of my body as we exchange our blows

Or

General Jun strived for perfection; a decorated war hero until he retired, he made sure I was on top of my game

General Jun strived for perfection; a decorated war hero until he retired, he made sure I was on top of my game. I had to be the best, know the best, and train the best; for the sake of my empire.

"Again" he says, flipping me over and pushing me on my stomach with the bamboo branch he had scoured from a nearby tree.

After a few more blows, and hits to my chest he thought it best we finish. I bowed to show him my respect before plopping onto a nearby rock, bending to reach for a towel near the shade of the tree.

"Your wandering mind will be your downfall Prince. You were slow on your feet today."

"My mind always wanders farther than my realities general" I revealed. He hummed, taking note of my statement before bending to wipe his own face with his towel.

"Something on your mind?"

"No...nothing general" I grumbled, still thinking of all I had to do still like partaking in the engagement ceremony tomorrow, my upcoming wedding, dealing with my father's funeral arrangements. It was too much happening all at the same time.

General Jun smiled, bringing his cup of water to his lips. "Your answers are short and quick. Distant but heavy, just like your father."

"Do not compare me to that monster"

"What a shame. The current Prince speaking so poorly of his predecessor. And less than 5 hours before his passing" Jun sighs as he shook his head in admonition.

"You can kill yourself and meet him in the afterlife if you miss him so much Jun" I frowned, pouring the bucket of cold water down my back. I knew he was accustomed to my sharp tongue and even colder heart. Despite his fleeting age, he was a dear friend and great adviser to me. He had trained my father in battle and carried on to train me when I was young. I had refused any other teacher besides him.

"I am used to your sharp tongue Xiang but I pray your future wife is not deterred by it" he teased. I stood, making my way back to the path that led to the palace to start my day. Jun kept his pace beside me, pulling a pink flower that had withered from the heat.

"They are reading the will of my father today" I reveal. My nerves were getting the best of me.

"Nervous?" He sighs.

"Not at all." That was a bold faced lie. I was nervous because I was not ready to exist in a dynasty where my brother was the sole ruler.

"You will be a great ruler one day Xiang, even greater than your father but you must not allow your doubts to rule your actions"

"Me ruler? Like my father would ever leave me his dynasty" He chuckled but understood my sentiments.

"Stranger things have happened" Jun chuckles. We come up the steps that led to the main entrance of the palace.

He was right. I knew my father hated me with evey fiber of his being but one conversation between us did strike me as strange.

It happened a few months ago.

Flashback

Bright red fire lines the floor of the intricate hallway as the path to the throne room lengthens. Instead of my father being in bed and succumbing to death, he insisted continuing his role as Emperor till his very last breath.

I wondered if he would expire today.

I came into the scarlet colored room and bow immediately. He was still the reigning emperor so it was expected to show my respects.

"Empreror Qin" I say beneath a hollow breath. My forehead kisses the floor before he motions me to rise.

Our eyes finally meet and of course he frowns. He looks horrible. Tired, weary eyes replace his once so vibrant ones. His skin looks pale and his disposition, fragile.

I take my seat across his throne chair. I didn't know why he had requested for my presence.

"I called you in here to discuss important matters pertaining to the dynasty."I knew better not to speak out of turn but my mind raced with different scenarios on the reason for my summoning.

He snaps two fingers to signal the guards to retreat.
The chancellor and advisers linger but he is not discriminate with his dismissal.

"Get out.
Everyone get out!!!" His voice was fatigued, lethal but strained. The party of men trickle out one by one until it was only he and I that remained.

He reaches through the sleeve of his robes and pulls out a small scroll, rolling it across the table.
"The Tai Yen" His thin fingers dances across the surface of the black ink writing. "An Ancient list comprised of the most powerful lineage of warriors. We call ourselves the dragon heads."

I remain still, only listening to his tale.

"The 12 dragon heads control the 12 kingdoms that make up the Qui Dynasty and various organizations spread across the world. Every 5 years, the current 12 meet and decide on a list of who will join the prestigious organization. Those 12 names are inscribed on a list known as Tai Yen. It is list which has been handed down and kept secret from generation to generation.
The reigning emperor of the Qin dynasty is always the twelfth dragon head bust since I am expiring soon...I figured to pass my titles over"

Was this his indirect way of telling me that I was the next to ascend the throne? To say I was surprised was an understatement. I was the youngest of kin and it was not customary for the youngest to take the throne. My eldest brother showed no signs of promise of being fit to rule an empire. He must have tainted my father's name.
Despite my father's hatred for me, his choice for a successor was expected.

He glared at me, bitterness etching his core.
"You look so much like her." Vitriol laces his tone as he takes in my features.

"She was the love of your life yet you despise me?"

"I despise you because you killed her."

"Me? I killed her? Are you sure it wasn't the nights of stress as you bestowed upon her as you visited the hòugōng?"

"Your mother knew the implications of marrying into a prominent family such as this"

I stand, collecting the list before starting my departure. I had nothing more to say to him.

"The Tai Yen will arrive when the lunar moon rises in the east." He says as I walk away.
"Look.
Memorize.
Dispose of."

Why he was telling me, I did not know. It seemed as if my brother should be hearing this? Why me?