14) Gong

Xiang

We kissed again, the same warmth greeting me from before. Both her arms rested around my neck as I pull her closer. We were hidden from the world, from the stares of the people and wandering eyes.

She looks up at me and blushes, gently running her lips against my chest.

"I have something for you"

She sat up and smiled. "I hate surprises"

"You'll like this one." I reach beneath my bed and pass her a small jade box. She was taken aback but excited at the familiar scene. Her hands danced delicately across the clasp of the case. It was the small Dizi she had asked me to look for.

Akazi

The emperor reaches beneath the bedside and pulls out a small jade case.

"My flute!" I say excitedly. I take it out of the case, admiring its artistry. "It's as beautiful as I remember?" I didn't think the feat was possible.

"You dropped it when you fainted." He says, pressing it into my palms and signaling me to play.
"You play, right?" His dark eyes gleamed into mine. I nod before blushing.

"I do...I mean I did... once.."
Why was I suddenly becoming flustered?
He grabs my jaw, looking down at my lips in admiration.
It was his reassuring eyes that made me have the courage to play.

I close my eyes and press the wind carved instrument against my lips.
Here I was, humble Akazi playing in the emperor's palace. I felt my mothers pride as my lips moved with purpose, my tongue bending with determination.
I was playing for the emperor after all.

I finished the last stanza, my breath relaxing with accomplishment.

I open my eyes but blush as I meet the emperor's gaze.

"What was the name of that tune,"

"The trail of Angels tears" I say. He stood from his seating chair and walked over to me.

"Your lips are like magic?"

I blush, looking down again. "It is not only the lips emperor." I reveal "The fingers skillfully move
Against the body of each hole. And my breath?"

I grab his hand and guide them against my chest. I played a few stanzas before stopping "You felt it?"

"Your breath halted then raced?" He sounded like a curious child discovering the secrets of the world.
I nodded carefully. "The breaths and the placements are important as well"

He watch me again, his hand lingered against my chest. Carefully, he lifted a finger to my lip. My breath hitches and he smirks.

"You can breathe now Daiyu. You are no longer playing. "

I wanted to scream my emotions but could only do so internally. I felt the heat of my embarrassment rising to my ears. I cursed him silently for his bluntness but nod.

"Play me another please?"

I nod calmly. I was overjoyed he was pleased with my skill.

He drops into the seat adjacent to me and watches.
I play so softly and intimately; it was as if I was pacifying him to slumber.

I finish and open my eyes once more and notice him staring. He was watching me, this time more intently. Assessing my features.
Memorizing them as if I was a work of art.

The gong vibrates again. I had lost count how many times, too consumed in my music.
I rise from my pillow, not wishing to keep him longer than necessary.

"If i may go? I do not wish for you to keep her waiting"

"No" he says impatiently. I nod and sit back down.
"I like to ponder my art" he whispered watching me.

I wanted to scream! How dare he say these thing causing me to unravel. I fiddle with my Dizi, awkwardly sitting against the silence of the room. He finally stands and walks over, pushing a palm to my jaw. He pulls my forehead to his lips and brings them down, kissing the surface with warmth.

Thé gong rings again and I jump, cowering in his arms.

"The gong strikes to signal the arrival of the emperor."he says.

"But how is it ringing when you are here?"

Xiang

"Exactly " I smirk, hoping she understood the situation. I was purposeful in delaying my arrival.

"Oh," she whispers, looking to the floor and hugging her shoulders. "So tonight is the night you meet your future empress?." She curses before looking away but I pull her jaw to my palm.

"It is a sham wedding. It changes nothing between us. My union to Li Mei is nothing more than a contract and written oath to secure my place in the dynasty."

"And what is between us emperor? We have known each other for three mere days" she whispers staring into my eyes.

"Something I cannot explain," I say. Although we barely knew each other, I had harbored some type of feeling for her. I was obsessed with her. Her eyes, her lips, her essence.

She walks away from me, picking a flower from the vase in the corner of the room.

I smirk, lifting a palm against my jaw.
There was so little she knew.

The gong strikes again, louder this time. I was surely late now. Either way, they would wait.

She held her arms, cold from the breeze against her skin. I pull her into my warmth, gently running a palm against her cheek.
She was so beautiful.

I part her lips again, pulling her into a velvet lounge chair that stretched in the corner. She lays on top of me, gently parting my lips as I did hers. We continue like this for minutes, our impatient heat wearing thin. We were sloppy and careless but free.

The third and final gong ripples in the distance. The third ringing of the gong meant trouble.
She slowly broke, peeking into my eyes.

"Go..." she whispers.

"I'll send for you tonight, after the banquet." I say beneath an impatient breath. "I would like to hear more of your magic Dizi."
I snatch her into my arms, refusing to depart without kissing her lips goodbye.

I place her down and take one last look before allowing her to leave my wing. I needed to prepare for the meeting with Li Mei.