47) Another Dragonhead

Akazi

Morning came and I stretched awake. I couldn't help but blush as I remembered the festival and our private firework show.
I loved how he put away his hard exterior and enjoyed himself well, before the thieves chased us away.

"You're awake" Xiang comes beside the bed, leaning over to kiss my cheek.

"I had a pleasant sleep" I smile, resting my heads in the pillow and staring into his eyes.

"What?" I ask as he traces his eyes over my features.

"Nothing. I just pray for the day to stay here and never leave your arms" He said it with care but for some reason he seemed nervous.

"What's wrong?" I ask.

He hesitated for a while before walking to the open windows. "Another dragon head has died"

I hear his words, but I couldn't bring myself to believe it. No...

"It happened in the early hours of the morning" hé confesses.

"No...no. We did the...but my back it's clear?" I stuttered, trying to find my words.
"No! No! It's not fair!" I scream, standing from the bed and throwing the pillows to the floor. "We did everything we were supposed to!" I say in exasperation.
"So all my tears... All my screams? The tattoo removal... was for nothing?"

"Not for nothing Akazi. It was necessary."

"And yet another dragon head has died! You have a death wish on your head Xiang! Don't you see?"

He is quiet, only staring down into the kingdom's fields.
"I am very aware Akazi." He says with an eerily calm demeanor. "My first priority is protecting you."

"And how will you do that? You rule your kingdom and are away for many hours of the day."

He was silent, staring at me before looking to the floor. I could tell by his scrunched eyebrows what he was suggesting.
"No Xiang! No way!"

"It is the only way." He pleads.

"Xiang my freedom! You cannot!"

"This is what being consort entails.
That is the only way you can be protected. My guards can protect you!"

"No...No way" I break away, bending to put on my robes.

"Akazi!" He comes and grabs my arm.

"No! You already stripped of my autonomy, then I was forced into your harem!
The women shun me already. I have only one friend.
Now you want time to stay in your room forever? To be confined like a caged bird with no freedom?"

"You will be protected" he holds me closer.

"More than I was before? The masked bandit made his way through your fortress twice!" I pulled away, tying the ends of my robe and walking to the ledge of the window.

"We strengthened the gates surrounding the palace. I took security measures that puts thieves to shame. Akazi, I promise you will be protected and even more so with the title. I can assign guards to you. Assign a party of handmaidens and an entourage" he walks towards me and with each step, my heart races. He grabs my shoulders and turns me around.

"Are you not scared Xiang? My presence is unexpected. Unannounced!? Mei Li is gone and I will be taking her place. Surely, there will be some resistance? I am scared..." I whisper, pressing my head into his chest. Not only was I scared of my new title, but for his safety. The number of men on the list was dwindling.
"Aren't you scared...?" I frown, staring into his eyes. His hard exterior was hard to break through; I couldn't read his emotions.

"I choose not to live in fear." He whispers, holding my shoulders with care. "What good is living in fear?"

I am silent and enraged. How dare he dismiss the threat to his life like nothing. "Maybe sometimes it's okay to live in fear? And be prepared...and cautious! They are going to KILL YOU!" I shout, tears forming down my cheeks.

"Akazi..."

"And if they kill you...then...a part of me will ..." I couldn't finish my words as my throat filled with sobs. He says nothing, pulling me close and running his palms through my hair.

A few moments pass before knock sounds at the door, breaking him away from me.

I look away to the floor as made his way to answer the door. He pulls on his robes before disappearing through the curtains.

"Emperor Xiang. The chancellor and prime minister are ready for you" A few guards whisper.

"Duty calls" he walks over, watching my features in admiration

"I will go back to the hòugōng to ready for the day. " I said robotically, turning to leave the room.
Xiang pulls me into his lap, his strong grip tightened around my slender waist.

"Stay here, in my quarters.
Surely this wing is large enough for you to explore?"

"No, it's not" I frown, crossing my arms over my chest.

"Then explore my wing and the western wing and the southern one too. I will have the guards close each the leading paths so you will be free to move freely."

"And what shall I do to busy myself emperor?"

He pretends to think. "I have a library in the western wing. You can explore there and then after, come to my banquet tonight. I'm throwing it for a highly ranked official"

I roll my eyes but nod. "Fine, I will stay."

"Good" he kisses my cheek before going to the bathroom to dress.  "I'll call for your handmaidens and they can dress you here."

I fell into the covers and sigh, looking up at the ceiling. I knew Xiang meant well, but his strict orders of protection were making me feel helpless.

——-

Xiang started the arrangements for the consort ceremony immediately.

The handmaidens came in and dressed me in the finest gown beaded with intricate patterns of lace of red and green. I stared at my reflection with pride as I see my appearance. I was dressed as regal as an emperess.

"The emperor requests lunch at two.
Then a tea party at four.
A still portrait painting at six." a palace official reads off a long scroll.

"And will the emperor be joining me?"

The small man looked at me as if I cursed the emperor's name. "He is far too busy for insignificant attendance at events like these"

"I see. And how does the emperor expect me to accomplish all this?" I snapped impatiently.

"This is barely a day full of duties. Surely you can handle events such as these? As the future consort of the dynasty—"

"What is your name?" I hold out my palm to stop his speech.

"Jia. Royal adviser to the throne."

"I See" I smile impolitely. I turn to face him and frown. "You are dismissed"

"But...but..."

"Your tone is not one filled with compassion and understanding. Surely you should know that the duties of the Queen Consort are unpredictable and
unforgiving. You do not represent the dynasty well, especially to a foreigner like me."

"Yes.. but I—" he stuttered pathetically.

"Goodbye." I say impolitely, waving him off with a smile. Jia was an annoyance but that was not the only reason I wanted him to leave.  I knew it was a wicked thing to do but I had to sneak out, going to the hidden tree house in the forrest.

Xiang had forbidden me from exploring anywhere beyond the palace wings but I refused to be caged in forever. I had to be free.