53) Tears

Xiang

The room was a mess, kimonos and books were scattered everywhere. Akazi sat on my bed, stuffing clothes into a a dark red bag.

I stood at the door, watching her with a worried expression. "What are you doing?" I hoped my question would be met with an easy answer.

"I thought you had meetings all day emperor?" She grumbles but still determined to pack her bags. She threw clothes into the bag haphazardly, not really thinking about what she was taking with her.

"Daiyu" I say her name again, pleading for her truth.

Akazi turned to face me, her soft brown eyes glossed with tears. "I'm leaving" she said quietly, trying to wipe away her tears quickly. "I can't stay here anymore." She sighs, tying the rope to her bag.

I allowed her, moving out the way as she reached for her Dizi on the nightstand. I knew something had frightened her, enough to make her leave.

She refused to meet my gaze as my eyes pierced into hers. She pushes past me but my temperament had filled to the brim.

I grab her shoulders, pulling her into my arms and holding her. I could feel her warm salty tears against my chest. She sobs, pressing her lips against my shoulders in fear. "I can't take it anymore Xiang. The rules. The fears. Not knowing when the next threat will come"

"Why do worry about things you can't control Akazi's"

"BECAUSE I LOVE YOU TOO MUCH Xiang!" She charges, her eyes finally met mine. They were filled with rage and fear. Uncertainty and hope.
Her eyes told her story.
Her journey to my dynasty. The whispers from the people. Her journey. Her resilience.

But in these same eyes held fear.
She was tired of fighting. Tired of being scared.

"Haven't I protected you? Haven't I loved you to make you feel comfortable"

"I'm leaving because of you Xiang!!" She shouts, letting her voice crack with disdain.

"I hate waking up and not seeing you beside me.
I hate seeing you leave because I am not sure if it is the last time I'll see you! Or feel you...or kiss you.
Who protects you Xiang?
Who will protect my heart if you are killed ?"

Gently, I wipe her tears away, pulling her closer to me. Her lips turn into an innocent frown as she watches me. She turned to the window, biting her lip nervously.

I grab her jaw, forcing her to face me. Akazi's breath caught in her throat. I knew one kiss was all it would take to make her stay.

——-
Akazi

"Stay"  He begged, his breath hot against my skin.
I felt a mix of emotions - fear, sadness, but also a sense of relief. Xiang warm embrace always calmed me. He was the only peace I  had ever known since my mothers passing.

His lips caressed the nape of my neck as I opened my throat to him. Hot, impatient kisses coat my skin as  he marks me.

Without another word, Xiang closes the gap between us, pressing his lips to mine in a deep, passionate embrace. He wrapped his arms around me, pulling me closer as we kiss, our tongues intertwining as we explored each other's mouths.

After what felt like an eternity, I pull away, gasping for air. I didn't realize my clothes were in a pathetic pile on the floor.

Xiang caressed my curls with care as we breathed in the tranquility of the hot and windy night.
I made sure to pace my breaths, devoted to make mine match his.

He laughs at something. Maybe me? I think he knew the game I was trying to play and purposely held his breaths at time. I laughed too and quietly drifted to sleep, matching my breaths to his until I dreamed about the moon.

Author Note:

Enough lovey dovey
Xiang has a plan to end all the worries