39) Wedding

Akazi

The wedding day came as quickly as it was anticipated. I didn't care to attend but by order of the Chancelor, and Mei Li, all concubines from the emperor's hòugōng were required.

It was still dark outside as I stretched awake. The emperor's bed was cold; Xiang's side was messy. It was the day of his wedding, yet he was no where to be seen.
He hadn't even woke me to say goodbye.

He told the guards to make me dress in his room. I guess he was still on edge about the recent break ins but I decided against that.
I didn't want to be alone; left alone with my thoughts. Not today....

I have the guards escort me to the hòugōng. I wanted to partake in the pre-wedding festivities with the women. I was glad that I had a friend like Tai Lee who took my mind of the inevitable.

We talked about songs and dance as we prepped for the wedding.
She asked about my childhood and I asked about hers. It was comforting not having to think about the wedding, even if it was only for a moment.

——-

The women of the hòugōng are escorted down to the palace pavilion. Even I couldn't hold the gasp that escaped my lips.
It was an extravagant reception.
Bright red tapestries of gold and silver hung throughout the archways. There was a stone path illuminated with white candle and soft pink roses.

The emperor stood regal at the head of the temple. He looked handsome. With his jet black hair pulled away, one could really appreciate his features.

 With his jet black hair pulled away, one could really appreciate his features

ओह! यह छवि हमारे सामग्री दिशानिर्देशों का पालन नहीं करती है। प्रकाशन जारी रखने के लिए, कृपया इसे हटा दें या कोई भिन्न छवि अपलोड करें।

Li Mei's family sat on one side of the temple. The emperor didn't have many relatives so on the other side were special dignitaries and important officials from the Dynasty.

A lot of visitors had arrived from the distant kingdom of Kamakura a few nights prior. They settled in nicely, bringing gifts of elegant rubies and clothes as gifts for the couple. I didn't understand the importance of the event until it materialized before me.
It was truly magnificent. Opulent, was a more fitting word.

"That is Li Mei's father, Qin Shin, emperor of the Qing Dynasty" Tai Lee filled me in through a whisper as we celebrated their union. It was reception time and we were all seated at a long table filled with bowls of fruit and spreads.

Xiang and Li Mei we're at another table that was elevated above the floor. They didn't look like they were in love. Xiang stared forward, careful to not show any expression. Li Mei was as frozen as a statute, fearful to show any signs of her imperfections.

"And that is the empress beside her" she pointed discreetly. "Daiyu?"

I tuned out Tai Lee and continued to look at Li Mei. I was usually not the jealous type, but something about seeing her in his arms consumed me with rage. Her cheeks were pinched tight with blush and the white hue of her dress was radiant.
She looked noble; like an empress.
She was the empress. 

"Daiyu."

"And how gleeful she looked! She was floating with pride as the people watched her do such mundane things. When she cut the cake the people gasped and when she fed the emperor the people cooed.
She could feel the envy of the women who prayed to be sitting in her place as chosen empress of the dynasty.

"Daiyu!" I felt a pair of hands shake me and I snapped from my distant thoughts. It was Tai Lee. Oh yea. I was supposed to be listening.
"I said, how are you liking your first wedding at the palace?"

Had she been talking this whole time? Asking me questions?

"Oh... it is interesting." I lied unconvincingly. Tai Lee frowned as I downed another glass of wine. It was the only way I knew how to cope with the events unfolding.

I look around and saw the other girls from the hòugōng laughing and smiling, whilst eating their fill of mead and fruit.
It was easy to tell when they were drunk. Their skin was pale so their cheeks blushed red. It gave them away. But my skin was richer in hue, so you could not see it. That was my advantage.

"Another one!" I shout to the cheers of the women. The servants ran from the shadows and filled up our cups.

"You can not drink her away" Tai Lee whispers.

"I can try!" I shouted, stomping my feet under the table.

"shhhhh" Tai Lee covered my mouth with her palm, trying to spare me from embarrassment but I wouldn't have it.

"Are you upset?"

"Me? Upset about what? I wish the emperor and empress happiness and joy!" I exclaimed a bit too enthusiastically. I look around the room, standing straight to observe the scene.

"I want to make a toast" I blurted, lifting up another cup of wine before tumbling over. Tai Lee catches me before I fall.

"No Daiyu!" Tai Lee tried to hold me down to sit but I slipped away.

"It will be quick! And I will be back before he notices" I pointed at our handler. He was in charge of us women of the hòugōng. We were to remain quiet and unseen. Little did he know.

I gather my gown and queue in the line of people wishing to announce their well wishes to the couple.

The line grew shorter and shorter and I finally reached the front. There was a man with a long scroll, writing down the names of the guests. He would announce the title and let us speak.

"Name?" He asks.

"Daiyu"

"Relation?" His eyes did not leave the paper.
I was quiet, choosing to bite my lip instead.
What was my relation to the emperor?

The man looked up from the scroll and observed me.

"Relation?" He repeated again, this time more impatiently.

"I cannot say?" I whisper through a giggle.

"Do you have a relation to the emperor or the newly appointed empress?"

"Emperor" I nodded confidently. I could answer that question.

"And what is your title?"

"The emperor's favorite...hmmm" I giggled again. He rolled up his scroll, glaring at me immediately.
"I don't know who you think you are but—"

I push past him, uninterested in his lecture and go to the center stage to make my speech.

This was my only one chance to make a scene. 

Xiang

"To Mei Li!!!"  I hear my Daiyu in the distance. What was she doing!

"May you bring as much happiness to the emperor as his kingdom brings to him"

"Guards." I snapped. Speeches like these went on for hours, eventually the people tuned out. I was thankful for that since it meant they were distracted. Not too many people would see her making a fool of herself.

"And to the emperor"

"Take her and lead her away. NOW!" The guards nodded and quickly went to fulfill my command.

I stare at her as she tried to think of the words. She was drunk. Acting like this in front of important dignitaries This was social suicide.

"May you have a long and prosperous marriage. Filled with love, joy, ...and passion."

I hated the way she tempted me as she said it.

"Guards!" I shouted. I stood up, furious she was making a fool of herself. I had to be prompt with my actions so the people did not catch onto my lenience with her.

The guards grab her and carry her away.
"Let me go! Let me go!" She tried to wrestle free.

The Emperor's Daiyu (BWAM)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें