19) Chest

2 weeks later
Akazi

What felt like a month passes. I was still finding my way around the hòugōng, trying to adjust to palace life, now that my tattoo has been compromised.

Ever since the first dragon head had perished, the emperor had not called for me. So, I spent my days in the hòugōng trying to distract myself with arts, crafts, and any other pastimes we were allowed to partake in.

Why did I try distract myself?

Well, in all honesty, I was saddened by the emperor's growing distance towards me. Gone we're the days of late night conversations of art and kissing under the moon.
Now?

The emperor treated me like I was nothing. I was nobody in this palace and it angered me.

Genji was called night after night. She always made sure to wake us all up and brag about her escapades with him. I bet they did not even occur but who was I to challenge her?

"My back is so sore!" She stretched and yawned before sitting down so she could show her bruises. I try to ignore her but every night she always made the effort to sit directly next to me.

And so, my days of solitude looked like this. Crafts, arts, conversation with Tai Lee and Genji's bedroom tales.

Days passed.
Then a week.
Another day had come and gone and still another.
It was the 15th day that I was finally summoned.

"The emperor would like to see you. The leoman He requested, "the emperor said to bring your Dizi."

I try to hide my excited smile.
Tai Lee claps excitedly as she hears the announcement.

"Finally! See? I told you he would call for you" she had been my greatest supporter and advocate.
"It took him long enough!" She pouted.

I giggle and crouch on my knees to reach beneath my bed. I pull my baby blue case and pull the Dizi from within its clasp.

Although Tai Lee was happy, I could not be excited for too long. Memories of his coldness still flood my mind. Despite him summoning for my presence, he had iced me out for weeks. I could not forgive him that easily.

——-

I come into the emperor's room, trying my best to refamiliarize myself with the environment.
It had been a while since I was called to his quarters.
Everything still looks the same which calmed me. It meant I wasn't gone for too long for things to be rearranged.

I enter the main room and see Xiang beyond the window. He looks at me for a moment, his eyes fixed on my physique. He only watches me silently, refusing to speak.
Gone was his warm embrace and even warmer demeanor.
There were no hugs or kisses.
He was only rigid, turning his shoulder away from me.

"Do you know the tune of Xiàtiān de yèwǎn?" (Summer night)

"Yes emperor" I say. I sounded like a foreigner, exchanging goods for a transaction. There was no sense of familiarity in our conversation.

"Play it" he says, still facing the window curtains.

I sit down and grab my Dizi, molding my fingers through each hole and playing the requested tune.

I took my time, making sure to show my skill and patience for the difficult piece. It was the first tune my mother had taught me. A children's fable, molded to the tune of a melody.

When I finish the ballad, he says nothing. He peaks out the window again, still favoring the sight of the moon.

Silence.