7) Journey

Akazi

My journey to each province of the dragon heads continued. For weeks, I travel across the great legnth a of the Imperial Dynasty, seeing sights and people I never dreamed or even imagined.

The first man on the list was Hu Xhi. He was an older man, rich in wealth by the looks of his abode but cold in nature. He had no interest in who I was nor did he ask for my name. He only looked at my back, humming as he pressed a cold hand against my spine, then gave me a slab of bread for the road to eat, telling me the coordinates for the next dragon head.

So I continued.

Some of the dragon heads were not as welcoming as Hu Xhi. Two of them tried so desperately to force me into their beds but I refused, fighting with evey last fiber of my being. I knew I was a disposable list, the men were free to do their bidding but I refused to let my body be their outlet.

It was in the 25th day of the lunar month that I met the 11th dragon head named Wei Ying. I had arrived at a tiny village near the edge of the Yei providence. I tie my horse to a small bush near the ridge of the busy village, looking at a small red house that stood at distance near the waters of the rice fields. I knew it was there I would find him.

A man is bent over the waters of the field, pulling tall leaves of grain from the waters. I was fearful to make my presence known but as if on cue, he rose from his position, wiping the sweat from his brow with a lazy arm. His head lifted and turned, taking in my countenance. His deep brown eyes scanned over my journey-torn figure. "Hmmm" was all he hummed before returning to his duties. "The 12th dragon will certainly have fun with you" he says, dropping his eyes to grains of rice in his basket. He lifted his eyes again, taking me in before lifting his basket from the ground.

"Come sit and warm yourself" he demanded, pulling open the door of his tiny hut. I cautiously follow after him before taking in the homely atmosphere of the space. It was a cozy little environment, with bright red furnishings and velvet cusions. He bent to light a match on the stove before pushing a kettle to the fire. He pulled out a porcelain tea set from a glass, antique cabinent, setting it near the center of the table. For some reason, I could tell he was not as brash and cold as the others.

The loud hissing of the kettle broke our intese staring match. Thoughtfully, he poured the tea in my cup, dropping some cubes of sugar and a dollop of honey. We exchanged a few brief words, the converservation domineering by his control.

"You do know what becomes of you when you meet the 12th dragon head?" he asks. I ignored his words, refusing to accept my fate.

"It is not fair. How could they see my life as disposable just because I am a woman?" He sipped his tea again before pushing a palm to his chin.

"It is a bit outdated?"

"Could you 12 not use a scroll?"
He chuckled at my words, nodding his head in agreement.

"A suggestion I have voiced many years ago. It is just the way it is" he shrugged, sympathizing  with my sentiments. We exchanged a few more subjects before he informed me the location to find the last dragon. He was the kindest of the bunch, sending me off with a small pack of dry goods and reserves.

I saw a black jade flute in a protected glass case. It was beautiful instrument. It's presence in the room was unmistakable.

"Do you play?" I ask. The corners of his eyes creases as he smiles, thinking of a distant but pleasant memory.

"It was wife's. She passed"

I stood and scanned the intricate patterns on each side. The design thrilled me. They were so familiar and yet so warm.