11) Daiyu

Akazi

I thank the small group of girls that aided me and urge them to return to their meal.

"She is the favorite of the emperor. Gennji" a voice sounds from behind. I wipe my sleeve before turning to face the sound. A pretty girl with an even kinder face stood before me. She passes me a thick napkin and I take it. "She does that to whichever woman she deems a threat. I guess it is an honor." the girl giggles. I try to force a smile to my face but still frown as I try to get the stain out. The noodles were hot and the broth had burned my skin.

"Come," she says, leading me out my room into hers. It was a bit farther back. She pulls out an elegant red gown and passes it to me. "You can wear this until the tailors can sew a closet for you"

I thank her before going behind the wooden partition to change.

"I am Tai Lee by the way" She introduced, her voice carrying over the room.

"Oh.." was all I said. I didn't wish to tell her my true name. I haven't even told the emperor.
I wasn't staying here for long so why bother?

"So the emperor. He just...sleeps...with as many women as he pleases?" I ask, changing into the dry dress.

"Essentially," she says. I could see her lifting a vile of perfume through the partition. "The Rites of Chou states that Emperors are entitled to as many women as they please.
He is the newest emperor of the Qin Dynasty. His father passed away not too long ago.
Since he is so young, he has no empress but his father's concubines and imperial wives have been passed to him. There are about fifty of us but everyone knows who his favorite it"

"Surely not the brazen girl who burned me?"  I peek behind the wall. She nods and shrugs.

"Have you been intimate with him?" I ask bluntly. I come from behind the partition and watch her carefully. She blushes but looks away.

"I am sorry if I offended...I did not mean to" I excuse my words. I did not wish to make another enemy.

"No...no, you did not!" she clarifies, playing with the small glass of perfume. "I just... yes" was all she said. I knew better to change the subject.

"How is life in the hòugōng?" I walk to a rectangular shaped looking glass and frown, trying to pull my robe higher. I looked like a sore thumb in a crowd of pale white women. Why he cared to keep me here was beyond me.

The girl named Tai Lee talked a bit more about her life at the palace and how she came to be. I cherished her openness and took relish in her warmth. I did not know much about Genji but it seemed as if the she and the other girls did not like me for reasons unbenkowst to me.

A few hours pass and I had found my way into Tai lee's bed, resting in the warmth of her blankets,  taking relish in her animated tales of palace life.

But even as I lounged in comfort, I couldn't remain still for some reason. There was something in my spirit that wouldn't let me unwind.

"My Dizi!" The unpleasant thought finally surfaces.
I jump to my feet and ran to my own room to search for it. It must be here somewhere?
Frantically, I open the cabinets and drawers, digging through each space trying to find my royal blue case. It had to be here somewhere!