25) Show us

I feel the warm pressure of Xiang's soft lips again my skin as he kisses my forehead goodbye. I try to stir awake but sleep overcomes me. The sun had not even peaked through the clouds before he was up but that was the life of the emperor. A duty to his kingdom came first.

I wake up a few hours later. Xiang's servants dress me for the day before his guards escort me back to the hòugōng. I barely reached the steps of my room before I hear the excited footsteps of the women.

"Daiyu?! Daiyu!!"  Tai Lee runs over and hugs my waist in a warm embrace. I dismiss the guards who had just finished escorting me and focus my energy to the forming crowds. A few more girls surrounded me, itching to hear of my night at the banquet.

"I heard you received a standing ovation!" One girl with long black hair clapped.
"I heard the people carried you out the room in reverence" another one sighs.

Quinn stares at me from a distance as the girls gush over the rumors of my performance. I smirked and wave to her with pride. So this is what it took to make her mute?

" I heard the emperor gave you his most prized possession. A true act of defiance to the empress!" The same girl with black hair smiled.

"Let's see the necklace!" Tai Lee smiles, looking for any signs of the chain around my neck. I grabbed it on instinct and look away.

"Pleaseeee!
Yes!
Please Daiyu!" The girls beg. "We want to see it!"

I blushed and nod. I truly hated the attention I received sometimes. I saw jelousy in some of the women's eyes and hatred in others. Knowing the empress hated me did not make me at ease. I did not wish to make even more enemies.

"Come on! Let's see it" Quinn snaps mockingly; she had finally found her voice. Silence filled the room as I remained stagnant.
"See! How foolish all of you were! Gushing over for nothing. As if Xiang would give her the very necklace off his—-" her words halt as I pull the golden chain and showed off the emerald diamond at its end.

They women ooh and awe in amazement. I let them touch it but never take it off from around my neck.

"Wow! It sure is beautiful'"
"Like silk jade!"
"Like a Daiyu!" My name finally clicks for one woman.

After the women tired out, I grab the chain and hide it beneath my robes once more.

"It was rumored Li Mei was supposed to receive it on the Eve of her wedding." The ladies guide me to the low table, pouring out a fresh kettle of sweet tea.
"It is a show of direct defiance meaning the emperor will never give his heart to her."

"Do you know what this means?" Tai Lee gasps.

"No." I whisper truthfully.

"It is a stance! The emperor will make you his wife!"
Tai Lee snaps. "Or his official Concubine"

"Do you really think Xiang would do that? I am fine playing for him and bringing the people joy with my Dizi" I smile. The title of concubine did not tempt my interest. It only brought more attention to my appearance at the palace.

"Speaking of Dizi. How was your performance? And the banquet?" Tai Lee pours me another round of teA.

"It was wonderful. There was delicious food and laughter!"

"Did you play well" one girl asks.

"I think so. The emperor said he liked it."

"What about Li Mei? Did she?" Tai Lee asks behind a chuckle. She knew the empress more than I. She would hate anything I did and would find favor in nothing. "I bet she didn't. She gave her 17 sheets to memorize!"

"What?" Some girls gasped at the revelation.

"I bet you played ever single one of them without fault." Tai Lee smiles in admiration.

"I added one song at the end. Let's just say...she was very upset"

"Has she called for you?" Tai Lee asks.

"Not yet. She will probably call me...soon"

"Daiyu? Empress Li requests for your presence" a guard interrupts us as if on cue.

The girls smile nervously and wish me good luck before I follow the guards out the room.

——-