5) Baited Breaths

Prince Xiang
10 years later (20 years old)

"Xiang..quick.." A bulbous froth of spit dribbles from his withered lips while strands of his loose black hair sticks to his perspiring brow. How pathetic it was to see the mighty emperor whose features were once so ample with life, deteriorating before me.

A violent fit of coughs greet him as I move the door. It sounded more serious than the others.
No...I would not get the guards. Not this time.

"Quick get the healers!" he said. He sounded like a man on the brink of death and it frightened him.
He coughed again, blood coming out his mouth.
His pants of desperation saturate the quiet throne room, beaconing for the gentle touch of a confidante.
Too bad I was not one.

Each pant was an outcry for his forgotten son.
His blood kin.
His hated foe.

"Xi..an..g --pl--plea..." he coughs again, discharging his final gasps of exasperated breaths.

Fool.
He should be saving them.

Imagine the reactions of the people once they learn that the great emperor Qin had died from a heart attack? No one from the Qin Dynasty would miss him anyway or even look into the details of his unforeseen death.

There was a darkness that had come over him after losing his beloved. He had taken the once so prosperous Dynasty  and dammed it into unrest. Our influence as the most renowned dynasty had rapidly dwindled under my father's disastrous rule.

This was the great Qin Shi Huangdi who had one made a fleet of 1000 mem fall to their feet.
The same heroic Emperor who once declared war on a kingdom who disrespected his title at a banquet.
The bountiful Qin Shi who, when a group of one hundred men were sent as envoys from a neighboring kingdom, poisoned the group before they could reached their destnation.

The people were itching for the appearance of the soul who would be so daring to kill him, for his death would be beneficial for the dynasty.

"Xi—XI-...an..an...g" he whispers through bated breaths. His dilated eyes meet mine before a smug smile ensues. He did not smile due to his understanding of my betrayal, but because he too wanted to relish in his own death.

How dare his abhorrent son be the lone person to relish in his own painful, yet satisfying demise.
Without him? No.
That simply would not do. He knew my entertainment would cease if he partook in my delight and for that he was content.

"xia.....ng......" he stutters again.
Good.
That breath was shorter than the latter. He was declining fast but not fast enough and for that, I felt misfortune. I should have called for his guards or even a healer to maybe counteract the poison, but my will did not favor it.

My father's vein was barely pulsing by the time I understood who had poisoned him. How foolish of him to assume it was me who had slipped the poison in his afternoon tea.

My father believed me to have some part in the attempt of his assassination but what good would fhar serve me?
I knew it was his other son, my brother Syaoran. He was the very man my father idolized, boasting of his great promise even decreeing to appoint him to the throne. I knew he was the very soul who did it.

I could not be too mad at my brother. An endless amount of memories fill my mind as I remember all my father had done to interfere with my rise to power. The throne was just as good as mine but this pathetic mongrel surely knew how to damage my ego.

I understood the hatred he held for me. I bore too much resemblance to his beloved wife that had passed 11 years ago. According to him, her love for me clashed with her love for him.
Because of her, he hated me.

There was a crash, then a scream before there was silence altogether. My sense of impatience grew as I noticed the lazy rising of his chest. My temperance weakened as I rose from his throne chair, walking calmly to meet his lifeless body.

The jagged dagger rested just above my thigh, itching to be used. "Are you dead yet? I have a concubine to fuck" I sigh, taking a seat back into the chair.

I heard no more noise before pushing my foot against his rigid body, kicking him to make sure he was truly dead. I would have no time left to garner up a story before the guards entered in. I had to work fast!

I pulled the and that kept my hair together then rustled my hair, making it look I was struck with grief and worry at the unexpected scene. I peer to the reflective basin to analyze my appearance.
My face seemed a little too smug.

"You will never be greater than me" he coughs behind me, finally controlling his panted breaths. I suppose laying down helped his airflow?

"You're still alive?" I frowned , looking at his reflection through the reflective vase. I made my way across the familiar room, bending down to face him once more. A small smile paints my lips as I see him writhe in pain. "Your resilience is strong father. If only you had used it to maintain your dwindling kingdom" I sneered, gently patting his chest.

"You--ur ...heart--" he whispers, looking up at me.

"My heart is not as dark as yours emperor."

"It is even... darker." He brags, making sure to whisper every last syllable into the air. With every last bit of strength, he lunges forward, pulling my throat between his sweaty palms.

My grin only taunted him more, rallying the last of his strength to tighten, but of course, his efforts were futile. "Do it...before they come. Quick old man!" I jeer, taunting him to grip me tighter.

A single tear streams down his face as I stare into his eyes. Gentler and gentler his grip around me became before he fell backwards, his head bouncing against the tiled floor below him.

More minutes passed until there was silence all around us. The emperor let out a hearty chuckle then smiled. It was emotion I did not expect from a man staring death in the face.

"Are you that... irresponsible Xiang? Must you do anything to obtain the throne?"

"I learned from the best father" I retort.

"And look where years of vindictiveness and greed has gotten me Xiang." he whispered, pleading to knock some sense into me. I acknowledged his words, pushing my head down before lifting it once again.

"Dead" I didn't miss a beat as I said it and with that last omen his eyes rolled back. The whites of his irises now showed.

Maybe now was the time I should react and call the guards.
No.

I would slip out from the back and let another unsuspecting person find his body.