31) Envy Fills the Night Sky

Daiyu

Xiang didn't let me out of his sight for a second as we traveled back to the Quin Dynasty. All day and through the night he held and caressed me. He promised me the moon and stars as he counted every strand of my hair.

670," he says softly, kissing my cheek.

"Last time you counted 600 and the time before that was 563 Xiang"

"I will count again." He smirks, running his fingers through my soft tendrils.

"Are you not tired?" I yawned, intertwining my hands with his.

"I will never tire of you Daiyu"

"Never?" I make him swear again and again.

"Never" he vows. We kiss tenderly until we arrive at that dynasty.

—-

Xiang

I pretended as of nothing was wrong when I returned to the palace. Mei Li hadn't even known I returned from King Ali's or that the very woman she detested was back in the dynasty.

As I take a peek down the hall, I notice a wide variety of event organizers and performers. A celebration appears to have been in progress.

"Another banquet?"

"Yes emperor" she bows, "Tonight"

"Why?" I answer impatiently.

"Oh, I just wanted to...and the lunar solstice is upon us," she says with a grin. How dare she smile in the face of an emperor knowing what she had done to Daiyu. It took everything within my power not to kill her. For me, the best option was to let her hang. Maybe a quick slice to the throat? Either way was befitting.

"Will you be coming, emperor?"

"Of course," I pretend to smirk, "I wouldn't miss it for the world." She was making it too easy for me. She walked away with a little more pride thinking she had that much influence over me.

_____

The dinner hall was large, and so were the servings of food and drink. Mei Li appeared cheerful, almost self-assured. She raised herself in her chair and waved at the newcomers while moving closer to my side.

Oh, how soon she would look like a fool.

I brought my chalice to my lips. "I asked that I have some extra entertainment tonight. I hope you do not mind?"

"Ahh, what have you up your sleeve Xiang?" I winced as she called me by my name. It was the first time she had done it even though we hardly knew each other. We weren't that acquainted.

"It's fantastic, and you'll adore it. Some claim this performer and their melodies originate from faraway lands." Seeing that it couldn't be her Daiyu, she straightened up in her chair.

_____

Daiyu

The doors burst open and I walk in, my eyes glued to Xiang.

It was disrespectful how fixed our gazes were on each other. Mei Li's face went from angry to pale as she saw me understanding her involvement in my disappearance. I settled into the small seat that was placed in front of the emperor and empress and smiled as the people clapped.

"A song for you Empress Elect" I smiled and performed. It's the greatest song ever. It was called "Envy Fills the Night Sky." It was a song so fitting for a woman like her.

Xiang

"I love this song" I pull Mei Li into my arms, caressing the end of her ears with my lips. "See, its a song about the sun and moon. Once upon a time, there was no light in the night. Envious of the sun, the moon tried to obscure it by scattering stars across the night sky. That didn't work. The moon then tried making itself brighter. That attempt was futile as well. The moon continued, refusing to allow the sun to overwhelm the skies, causing the people on earth to turn back their time even. Every attempt was fruitless because no matter how much effort the moon tried to dim the light of the sun, it simply couldn't block out the sun's radiance. If only the moon accepted its role in illuminating the night and not attempting to fill both roles, the two could have lived in harmony but I suppose that is why one is called day and one night."

Daiyu finished and bowed to the people and then to me. I stood and clapped, staring into her eyes before walking down to meet her. I take off my ceremonially blessed robes, placing them over her slender shoulders.

The crowds gasped. Some cheered and even still, some screamed.

"The new queen consort?"

"Queen consort?"

"The emperor hasn't appointed a consort in centuries!"

The murmurs of the spectators did nothing to persuade my choice. No one could stop me from crowning Daiyu queen.

Mei Li shot up from her seat. I knew she wanted to strangle her but couldn't, so all she could do was storm out.

"Guards? Bring her back here"

They run after her and drag her back. Attempting a grin hurts her, but she endeavors to force one anyhow. I leaned in and spoke softly in her ear. Her terrified eyes opened, but she meets my gaze and took a step forward, kneeling at Daiyu's feet before kissing them.

Mei Li then raised up and gave her a kiss on both cheeks. Good. Her life was dwindling at the mercy of my temperance.

"I hope that you burn" I whispered before kissing her head. She steps back and looks at Daiyu then back at me, wondering if she was done.

I nodded and snapped for my guards to escort her away. It was the ultimate humiliation for her. Being submissive to the very woman she hated in front of a crowd of people she invited. It made me proud but I was not done yet.

——

Daiyu

I paced back and forth across his room, waiting for Xiang to return from the banquet.

He slammed through the doors and pushed past me, reaching for the emerald green sword that hung above his bed.

"Xiang?" I say hesitantly. He pulled my jaw and smacked my lips carelessly.

"I'll be back" he whispered against my lips before turning to leave. I knew anything I said would be futile. He was a man on a mission to defend my honor and there was nothing I could say that would change that.